Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blu Ray Drive Problems

Hi and happy new year!

I have just purchased a second hand blu ray drive which did not come with any software. I have installed it and put a cd rom in which it reads. However, I cannot play a blu ray.

I suspected I need to update the drivers, but could not find the drivers for it.

I also think I need blu ray software.

The drive is a hl-dt-st bddvdrw ch20n.

What I would like help with is am I on the right track to fix the problem of reading blu ray disks and where can I get the drivers and software required to read the blu ray discs?

Thanks for any help

Default Re: Blu Ray Drive Problems

What model Blu ray drive?

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    What model Blu ray drive?
    Have a look at the manufactures website.

I'm guessing the drivers are all in order, at least enough for basic playback. If you are using Windows 7 this should be the case. If not I'll have a hunt, a quick look didn't turn up anything straight away. As for playback, Sony's DRM with blu ray is ridiculous. I had a small foray into BD but gave up due to licensing. It was easier to pirate that damn thing in HD than get a BD working on a computer. As far as I'm aware windows 7+ will play Blu ray natively with VLC now... although I'm not sure. As for OSX and Linux... no show, you'll have to rip the disk with MakeMKV, which defeats the point of the BD anyway since you'll end up with a .mkv file (same as downloading it.... so what's the point in the disk?)

Sorry I'm not of much help, I gave up on BD because it was impossible, especially at the time (as an early adopter) Someone might put you on the right track but as far as I know from when I did it BD will not play natively on other OS's and even on windows it's a pain. You'll have to buy something like Cyberlink's PowerDVD suite.
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    I'm guessing the drivers are all in order, at least enough for basic playback. If you are using Windows 7 this should be the case. If not I'll have a hunt, a quick look didn't turn up anything straight away. As for playback, Sony's DRM with blu ray is ridiculous. I had a small foray into BD but gave up due to licensing. It was easier to pirate that damn thing in HD than get a BD working on a computer. As far as I'm aware windows 7+ will play Blu ray natively with VLC now... although I'm not sure. As for OSX and Linux... no show, you'll have to rip the disk with MakeMKV, which defeats the point of the BD anyway since you'll end up with a .mkv file (same as downloading it.... so what's the point in the disk?)

Sorry I'm not of much help, I gave up on BD because it was impossible, especially at the time (as an early adopter) Someone might put you on the right track but as far as I know from when I did it BD will not play natively on other OS's and even on windows it's a pain. You'll have to buy something like Cyberlink's PowerDVD suite.
    while apple doesn't support or supply BD, playback is definitely possible without ripping. VLC supports playback in osx along with other media players. I will go as far too say that osx has as much built in support for BD as windows has.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Sorry, should've mentioned that I'm using windows xp.

The model of the drive is: hl-dt-st bddvdrw ch20n

I tried the manufacturers website and couldn't find any drivers. I think the drive is using basic drivers at the moment, not proper ones for the drive but I cant find them.

Mmmmmmmm.............Kate Tukapa's Avatar

Have you got vlc player installed? More likely to be a software problem than a driver issue IMHO.
    Asus P8Z77-V LK, Core i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3 1600, 128GB SSD, 12TB HDD, GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB, Blu-ray writer, Enermax 750W PSU, Coolermaster CM 690 II Case, Windows 8 Professional

Isn't locked on the wrong region is it?
    They are A, B, and C , NZ is B.
    Possibly why the previous owner sold it; with DVD drives the drive locked on the last of 5 disk regions.
    Sometimes they could be reset by changing the firmware.

Try this software Here and try for drivers Here.
    Last edited by Trev; 02-01-2013 at 07:10 AM.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Quote Originally Posted by hsvman12 View Post

The model of the drive is: hl-dt-st bddvdrw ch20n

Thanks

Although now I notice you put that it the first post as well.

This thread seems to indicate its a common problem, which can usually be fixed by downloading the Toshiba UDF XP driver, which can be found from here