Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computers don't work

I have a computer that did work so I change the CPU and video card and now it donít work. The CPU is compatible with the motherboard, I check and the Video card works on another computer so does everything else. So everything works and has been tested except the new AMD 965 CPU. I canít get any video so can a bad CPU not even give you video and how likely it to get a bad CPU?

Now my other computer that has been working for 4 years doesnít work now and all I did is try the new video card on it and now I get no video with any video card. MY RAM and video cards all good so what could have taken down both my computer?

Default Re: Computers don't work

One reason why it may not work, (and if you don't see anything on the screen), is the BIOS doesn't support the CPU. You may have to update the BIOS first. Whats the brand/model of the mobo??

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    One reason why it may not work, (and if you don't see anything on the screen), is the BIOS doesn't support the CPU. You may have to update the BIOS first. Whats the brand/model of the mobo??
    MSI 760GM-p23 but it support the AMD 965. No beeps on boot and everything is running cpu and Video card fans. I put back my old video cards that I know work. Even tried two monitors. All this happened after I plug in a GTX 650 video card but I don't think the card could of blown out both my motherboard?

So it turns on then and boots into windows? The mobo may support it but the BIOS has to support the CPU thats on it. Before the thing will turn on, and boot into windows. If the BIOS thats on it at the mo doesnt support the CPU, it wont turn on or boot. Until you reinstall the CPU it did work with then flash the BIOS to the latest BIOS (or whatever version supports the CPU you're installing). Then reinstall the AMD 965
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 05-01-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    So it turns on then and boots into windows? The mobo may support it but the BIOS has to support the CPU thats on it. Before the thing will turn on, and boot into windows. If the BIOS thats on it at the mo doesnt support the CPU, it wont turn on or boot. Until you reinstall the CPU it did work with then flash the BIOS to the latest BIOS (or whatever version supports the CPU you're installing). Then reinstall the AMD 965
    Everything worked until I tried a new CPU, shouldn't I be able to disconnect everything except for the RAM and Video card and have something come up on the monitor? The old CPU is gone. Right now I have no video

Like I said, if the BIOS doesn't support the CPU you installed, . nothing will work / turn on. Even if the videocard fan / PSU fan/s spin. It doesn't matter whats connected. You would have to install a CPU that it supports then flash the BIOS. Then reinstall that AMD 965 CPU.

Then see if it turns on / beeps (if ithere's a speakier in the case)

BIOS, or problem could also be with the video card. I have used this useful checklist procedure to find/fix these types of errors before:

Disconnect and remove everything from the motherboard except PSU and CPU - no RAM, video card, or drives. Boot. You should hear continuous long beeps - indicates memory problems. That is good.

Silence indicates bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or something shorted in the case.

If you get a multimeter, yellow wires should read 12 volts, red wires 5 volts, and orange wires 3.3 volts. The purple wire should read 5 volts and be on all the time.

The gray wire is important. It should go to more than 3.6 volts when the case power switch is pushed. If you do not get this output, the PSU is bad. You can have all the voltage outputs, but without this signal, the PC will not boot.

If you get the long beeps, install one memory stick. Boot. The beeps should change to one long and two or three short beeps - indicating a video problem. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out something. Test each stick of RAM.

If all the RAM is good, install the video card and plug in monitor. The system should POST successfully (one short beep)and you should see boot messages on the monitor. Silence indicates a problem with the video card.

Note that you do not need drives or keyboard to pass the POST.

I dont think he realizes that the motherboard supporting it and the bios supporting it are two different things.
    | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler | Corsair vengance 12gb 1600Mhz | EVGA 1070 FTW | 60gb SSD + 500gb SSD + 2x WD black 1tb HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Corsair AX850w | Corsair 600t white |

Does it have onboard video? it's possible plugging graphics cards in and out has changed the primary display to the onboard. If so you'd need to connect the monitor to the onboard graphics and go into the BIOS to set it back how you want it.

Yo could also try resetting the BIOS with the link, nothing to lose really. Getting rid of your old CPU before testing the new one was an unfortunate decision.

Also make sure both power connectors are plugged into the motherboard and if the graphics card has one make sure that is connected also.

IT Contractor

That board needs at least the HA BIOS revision to officially support all current variations of Phenom 965 processors. This was released in August 2012. H6, from Feb 2012, is enough for the earlier 965 variant. That said, typically it should POST and report incorrect CPU values if this was the case.It sounds to me more like lack of power. Is the extra 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power connector seated correctly? How about the 6-pin VGA power, if relevant for your specific card?
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505