Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tablet PC's

Gone

Default Tablet PC's

I have been looking at getting tablet PC. Have looked at the Apple Ipad and like what I see, the downside is the price. The other tablet I have looked at is the Asus Nexus 7. It was before I got my android Y100 and didn't like Android at the time.

Is the Nexus 7 better than Ipad?

The Zeditor (Admin)

Default Re: Tablet PC's

Better than? No, I don't think so. Equivalent to? Yep, that's pretty accurate. It's got slightly lower screen quality (noticeable mainly as washed-out greens), but Android Jellybean on tablet is just great, and the Nexus is a fantastic size. If you've got your other stuff on android, your apps and settings will just port over really easily.

There are nowhere near as many tablet-designed apps for Android, sadly - I think the last count I heart was 26,000, compared to about ten times that many tablet apps for iPad. Having said that, the basic apps - email, google go, youtube, browser - all look great. When I last played with Nexus, the Facebook app was a bit hinky, but that might have been updated since.

Quote Originally Posted by Zara Baxter View Post
    When I last played with Nexus, the Facebook app was a bit hinky, but that might have been updated since.
    Same could be said about the android facebook app in general though

QW, the nexus 7 is an awesome tablet. My nans got one, so I've had an extended play with it. If you've already got an android device, a nexus 7 will be a great addition.

Warning though - after using a nexus 7 for a while, you might find your Y100 seems to slow down quite a bit

IT Contractor

The answer is It Depends. In some ways the Nexus is better, in some ways the iPad is better. Personally, I much prefer the Nexus (especially compared to that pint-size ipad Mini they launched recently), but if you are used to the way iOS does things, and have other iOS devices, the ipad might be better suited to your needs. Neither is a bad product, they're just slightly different approaches on the same thing. Compared to a full-size iPad, the Nexus has lower screen resolution, but is a lot smaller to carry around, for example. It comes down to what specific strengths you're looking for in a product.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Pretends to know things

1) Go to a shop which stocks both.
    2) Play with them.
    3) Pick which one you like.
    4) Think about what you are actual going to use it for.
    5) Ask yourself, will this tablet be able to do...?
    6) If yes then buy that one.

imo ignore things like processor speed, ram and all that other jargon when buying a tablet. As long as it runs all the apps that you want. There is nothing wrong with it. The only things that matter imo are the touchscreen, screen resolution and whether or not the size and weight of the tablet is convenient.

"tablet PC"

strictly speaking an Ipad isnt a PC, at all.

Think about what you want to use it for, what you expect it to do, how fast you want it to run & go from there.

DO NOT ignore specs like speed. Low spec cheap tablets run like a dog( I have one, terrible thing)

Gone

Does the Nexus 7 home screen rotate like the Ipad?

IT Contractor

If you want it to.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Quote Originally Posted by QW. View Post
    Does the Nexus 7 home screen rotate like the Ipad?
    It used to be portrait only but I believe an update allowed the homescreen to be in both portrait and landscape.Honestly - the nexus 7 may be cheaper, but that does not make it an inferior device that's been limited it its capability.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

WARNING: Fanboy rant incoming...

Yeah as mentioned, Google brought out an update that allows the Home Screen to rotate, as it was apparently quite a highly requested feature.

I'd personally take the Nexus 7 any day over any of the iPads. The size is amazing for taking it with you everywhere, I always have mine with me.

The resolution is gorgeous, Android Jellybean is incredibly smooth, it feels amazing in your hand with the faux leather back, it's durable all around, it's light, and it's incredibly cheap too! There's now multi-user support as well so you can have an account, then you can give it to a significant other / friend / grandchild and they won't bugger up your score on Angry Birds, or post something silly to your Facebook account.

In terms of comparing it to the cheaper Chinese branded tablets, this thing is leaps and bounds ahead of what you've likely been using. Compared to an iPad Mini or iPad 3rd / 4th Generation, it's definitely the smallest of the bunch, but don't buy into the "Reality distortion field" that tells you that you can't fit as much of a website onto the screen. If anything, when in Portrait orientation, you fit quite a bit more.

It's also worth noting that although Apple have had this huge push / focus on their "Retina display" as having more than around 300 ppi (I won't go into the details) and the iPad 4th Gen has around 320-ish, the Nexus 7 has around 220-ish while the new iPad Mini has around 160ppi. Clearly they're figuring that not all budget-minded consumers wanting a smaller tablet will care about the raw PPI. That said, the display on the Nexus 7 is absolutely fantastic!

As for "Not specifically designed for a tablet", basically it's a bunch of crap touted by Apple, because when Android was designed, they were clever enough to design for more than one single screen resolution. A single application can work well and scale well on a small 2.8" screen, a 4.8" screen, a 7" tablet or a 10" tablet. And they do! In fact Android has some absolutely beautiful applications, as shown off in this Tumblr:
    http://androidniceties.tumblr.com
    To give you an example, when Google worked with Asus to build Jellybean for the Nexus 7, they used only ONE single unique image for it, the rest is a true testament to how well Android scales both the OS and the applications. Ignore the "raw" count of "tablet-specific" apps, that if anything show you the application designer either doesn't know what they're doing, or is coming from an iOS background and is used to releasing two apps for the same thing.

Finally, Facebook for Android does suck, even Facebook have admitted that. Still, there's nothing preventing you from using one of the myriad of other apps available out there, or better still have a look at Google+! That app is a shining example of pretty-ness
    Last edited by Chilling_Silence; 29-11-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Had to add the warning up top :D
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro