Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windows update problem

I have a Dell Inspiron Mini running Windows 7 Starter. It will not allow me to run Windows Live Update. When I go through Control Panel to choose Updates it brings up a window asking me to "Check for Updates." When I go OK it tells me it can't run Windows Update as the service is not running, and suggests I reboot. That does not help. I have gone direct to Microsoft security/updates but that always brings me back to the Check for Updates window and the same result. In the 3-odd years I have had this netbook I don't thiink it has ever had an update. I use Norton 360 for security etc, and that is fully up to date.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Richard

Default Re: Windows update problem

Go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997

First try Method 8.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Morriss View Post
    it tells me it can't run Windows Update as the service is not running
    This one might going to be tricky.
    1st : remove Norton & run Nortons cleanup util.
    2nd download malwarebytes & a GOOD AV program & scan the laptop
    start-run-services.msc : windows update:start (make sure its not et to disable)

Last PC is saw with Update service that wouldn't run, it had permission issues with some registry entries.
    You could try searching google for a similar fix as a last resort if no else has a easier option

The Zeditor (Admin)

1101: That's really not very helpful. Like it or not, Norton 360 is an effective security program. And I know many don't like it, but independent testing, such as av-test.org (andreas Marx has been testing since 1998 that I know of, and possibly longer) and virusbtn.com (testing just as long) both rank it very highly. Both are transparent about their methodology and take suggestions and questions.

You can run Malwarebytes antimalware alongside Norton 360 without problem.

And yes, there are many other effective antivirus programs. Virus Bulletin at the link above, and Andreas Marx at AV Test regularly test on multiple platforms. I'd always recommend that people only pick those ranked highly at BOTH. But dismissing a product that ranks highly at both - and is not the proximal cause of the problem - is ... well, counterproductive.

The registry stuff? Yeah, that's useful.
    Last edited by Zara Baxter; 28-11-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: corrected Virus Bulletin link

Get this then run it as admin. Tick all options except the last one. Then click on scan

Copy and paste what comes up in here. We'll see if any services are missing

Quote Originally Posted by Zara Baxter View Post
    Norton 360 is an effective security program. And I know many don't like it, but independent testing, such as av-test.org (andreas Marx has been testing since 1998 that I know of, and possibly longer) and virusbtn.com (testing just as long) both rank it very highly. Both are transparent about their methodology and take suggestions and questions.

The registry stuff? Yeah, that's useful.
    Lab tests dont mean a lot , they cant copy real world usage -- Ask all the people who I've seen and many techs as well that do the same sort of work with corrupted and infected PC's due to Having Norton 360 or some other Norton products and they'll all tell you its rubbish and the computers run much better once its been removed. I've done many tests myself, and Norton is no where as good at detecting infections as some other AV's.

As for the Registry Comment -- What was written is correct -- if 1101 had put change this that or some other reg key/settings, and anyone reading doesn't know what they are doing they can do more damage than good, and make the PC unbootable. So giving advise that the reg may be faulty is only a general guide line to the problem.

Question: If you suggested something saying it "would" fix the problem and the person did it, and it turned their PC into a total mess - Would YOU be responsible enough to pay to have it fixed ?

But dismissing a product that ranks highly at both - and is not the proximal cause of the problem - is ... well, counterproductive.
    And you have proof or some knowledge that Norton is not the actual cause --- How did you come to that conclusion ?

Edited: Just today I have a customers PC here now, its a Dell, Had Norton INC on it, wouldn't run any updates and was slow as a wet week -- Removed Norton at their place and what do you know, Updates came through instantly. The PC was faster, but still unstable in its operation. Brought it back to the workshop - Doing a scan right now, and so far nod32 has found 17 infections that Norton didn't detect.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-11-2012 at 10:26 AM.

I visit the MS forums often. Just the other day someone had 360 installed and trojans went straight through it lol. Yeah a good program alright

Yep Speedy, The PC I Mentioned above, at least 5 Trojans so far.

I LOVE Norton -- brings in work

Think I'll stick with windows firewall.

All of these separate firewalls have too many probs. And it doesnt matter what version you install, it'll have probs or crash. From what I've seen so far (just on the MS answers site), Mcafee is the WORST. It blocks nearly anything and everything.

It usually crashes netio.sys, blocks emails or something. Kaspersky can block webcams - it can stop them from working (I used teamviewer once to fix someones cam - Uninstalled Kaspersky, it was up and running again). Bitdefender, NIS, Norton 360 (this and NIS are common casues of crashes). So, is Bitdefender

You may as well have nothing at all

The Zeditor (Admin)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Lab tests dont mean a lot , they cant copy real world usage
    So you have specific criticisms of Andreas Marx method? Please do send them to him. He altered his methodology some years back in response to some of my suggetions, and I'm sure he'd welcome further ways to ensure his real-world testing is effective. Because he does do testing as close to real-world as he can.

Ask all the people who I've seen and many techs as well that do the same sort of work with corrupted and infected PC's due to Having Norton 360 or some other Norton products and they'll all tell you its rubbish and the computers run much better once its been removed. I've done many tests myself, and Norton is no where as good at detecting infections as some other AV's.
    Norton's used to be horrifically resource-munching, but it's improved in recent years. I think a lot of people still hang onto an idea of Norton's from that era, TBH. Not saying you, or the techs you speak to, fit that bill, BTW.

As far as I'm concerned, where the problem is -not- the antivirus, in this case, recommending someone ditch their perfectly function security product to -spend their hard earned cash- on another product is irresponsible.

As for the Registry Comment -- What was written is correct -- if 1101 had put change this that or some other reg key/settings, and anyone reading doesn't know what they are doing they can do more damage than good, and make the PC unbootable. So giving advise that the reg may be faulty is only a general guide line to the problem.
    Of course. I didn't say otherwise. I was saying the registry stuff is useful - it's very useful to know that someone else with that problem found that a solution and gives the question asker somewhere to look.

Question: If you suggested something saying it "would" fix the problem and the person did it, and it turned their PC into a total mess - Would YOU be responsible enough to pay to have it fixed ?
    I wouldn't tell someone something 'would' fix their problem.

And you have proof or some knowledge that Norton is not the actual cause --- How did you come to that conclusion ?
    I didn't. 1101 did. If you check that answer, the steps he suggests after Norton's in no way require Norton's to be removed. 1101 apparently didn't believe it to be the proximal cause.

Edited: Just today I have a customers PC here now, its a Dell, Had Norton INC on it, wouldn't run any updates and was slow as a wet week -- Removed Norton at their place and what do you know, Updates came through instantly. The PC was faster, but still unstable in its operation. Brought it back to the workshop - Doing a scan right now, and so far nod32 has found 17 infections that Norton didn't detect.
    Sure. And if the asker wants to try turning Norton 360 off to check if updates work, it's certainly worth a go.