Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Trying to fix Vista – chdsk or sfc scannow.

Vista freezes after desktop completed loading. You can start 1 thing e.g., word, but then it freezes.

After reboot in late afternoon it froze as above, tried rebooting a few times no luck. Late evening tried System Restore from Safe mode, quite a few Restore points, chose one from morning before I did first reboot. It worked fine that evening and next day until that evening and it froze again. Looked for Restore points, now it says there are none. Tried “Last known Configuration”, nothing happened.(NB: Did not know I should have disabled Virus protection, so that was active when first & only Sys Restore)

TRIED TO SOLVE BY
    Not Work - Disabling startup items
    Works - Safe mode works fine can open everything, email, word etc.
    Works - Diagnostic Startup under General (Safe Mode Msconfig System Configuration) worked fine
    Not Work - Selective Startup under General (this included the different options of “Load system services only” and in “Services” disable all and “Startup disable all"
    Works – Vista Repair Disk Said found no problems (not sure if I ran it right but seemed to go okay, was a disk made for me)

So finally weeks later and piles of stuff printed from net I’m left with trying chdsk and sfc scannow.
    However from the symptoms shown I’m not sure which one to do first.

As I would be doing from Safe Mode command prompt, I can see at least one problem.
    From my piles of printouts it says copy log from scannow on to notepad, how do I open notepad when it’s in the running command prompt screen.?
    I probably haven’t got any chance of success (limited knowledge) but like to have a try

Default Re: Trying to fix Vista – chdsk or sfc scannow.

Type notepad in the command prompt

Install something like ccleaner so we can see whats in startup and whats installed. If ccleaner is installed, go to tools / startup and click bottom right. Save the info as a txt file. Do the same for whatever is installed. Go to tools / uninstall. Do the same thing.

Then post both txt files in here. See if its got any rootkits

Have you scanned it for malware? If its too slow in normal windows, boot into safe mode/ networking install teamviewer. And I can check it out from here. If you install this run it then give the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 15-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks, but not enough experience to follow yr help. I've taken weeks to find out how to do what I've already done.
    No not scanned for Malware with a dedicated Malware program, but had Nod.
    Freezes in Normal mode so all would be through safe.
    Tried to install teamview once before but couldn't follow instructions.
    Im using a borrowed laptop at present.

Nothing had been installed for 2 weeks before the freeze.
    And that was some old updates
    Last edited by ktee; 15-11-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Ok. Well if you decide to install teamviewer now, all you have to do it install it, leave the settings as is. Then run it. It'll give you a password and ID (on the left in teamviewer). Thats what someone else (whoever is helping) needs to log in

And to get into safe mode / networking, you restart it then hold F8 down till the menu comes up. Then select safe mode / networking

Thanks Speedy.
    With the symptons I've given can you tell if its system files or HD sectors
    Quote "whoever is helping"
    Nobody .. just me surrounded with 3 printer, 2 broken which I cant fix
    2 desktops, both broken now (incls the vista one) and the borrowed laptop, which I sure they'll come home and take away from me..
    Last edited by ktee; 15-11-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Whoever is helping I meant me or whoever logs in with teamviewer. If you used / installed it. Could be a program using up all the CPU. Could be malware. Could be the hdd itself. Does the other computer go (besides this Vista PC). Can it boot into windows?? Whats wrong with the other PC?

The other PC, needs a new power supply, but its mini size and old and cant get one at present.
    The PC with Vista thats freezing has a newish HD.

The problems could be related to the suspected flaky Motherboard, as several times some SATA ports have stopped making contacts correctly.

All SATA cables have been replaced with New ones.

So even though safe mode diagnostic runs okay (but not selective) and the Vista repair disk (if I ran it correctly) says nothing found it can still be the motherboard. Is there a simple test I can run to see if its the motherboard.

What about my deeply researched but probably not understool chkdsk and sfc??

chkdsk will only check the data area on the drive for errors, it can also check free space if that option is also selected. sfc checks the validity of windows system files. None of these will check your hardware and if it is faulty. Sounds like WT has already had a look at it, if a failing or faulty motherboard has been suggested, I would be going with that. You may pick it up doing a stress test but probably not, it sounds pretty random.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.