Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows Updates

VoidMaster

Default Re: Windows Updates

I set my computers to inform me but don't automatically download updates maybe that is why no updates so far, MS is prioritizing updates if they are set to Automatic?????

Annoying really as I like to update on a none mission-critical computer and see if there are any bad effects before committing to holus-bolus updating of all laptops and desktops from bitter experience, plus like to be able to tell people that I advise with assurance that I am correct from personal experience.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Interesting zqwerty, if you open windows update, does it say there are any waiting? And if you try a manual check for updates, does it tell you then?
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

VoidMaster

Yes already manually updated one XP computer, got the others switched off for now, just using my Win 8 Pro RTM which I am starting to enjoy even though it is running on a Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz x64-based processor with 2.00GB Ram which used to have XP on it.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    I'm glad I always have them on, I like my security

Not once have I ever had an update slow my computer down. All they do is replace small system files with other small system files...

Attachment 4478
    lol yea small files that are your personal files!

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMCG View Post
    We bit paranoid are you ?

From years of experience with hundreds of customers, some people who think MS are spying on them usually have something to hide -- like pirated software

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMCG View Post

What a load of bollocks, if you actually bother to read the KB articles Microsoft says which files are modified.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    Not once have I ever had an update slow my computer down.
    They do slow many PC's down, but only when they are downloading & installing.
    You could also be well justified to waiting 1 week in case the update has some nasty bugs/side effects(as has happened many times)
    Some slower/older PC's & laptop's its often better to set Winup's to 'inform but dont download' , so you can install them at the end of the day, when youve finished using the PC.
    Even with 'inform only' , you can get MS forcing some updates through & trying to force a restart regardless(does occasionly happen , a issue on servers )

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Even with 'inform only' , you can get MS forcing some updates through & trying to force a restart regardless(does occasionly happen , a issue on servers )
    For an out-of-band update that fixes a zero-day flaw, this is understandable.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter