Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile IT Sustainability

Hi folks,

I am abit confused, Please help me.

How does Corporate, social, and Environmental Responsibility relate to IT Sustainability?

Thank you

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: IT Sustainability

So what High School or Uni asked you to do this for homework?

Polytech. I have read up on it but an still very confused about the subject?

Which aspect of the question confuses you, and where have you looked?

Ive looked on a few sites, Wikipedia, etc.

The whole concept confuses me. What is the point of CSR? If sustainability is to keep thing going in simple terms, is IT sustainability to keep IT going?

How would CSR relate to IT sustainability?

VoidMaster

IT uses less paper than in the past, LOL.

Enables larger numbers of people to be up-to-date more quickly on the latest ideas using less resources.

However the computer industry in general and all the support products including using vast amounts of energy especially the server farms must contribute significantly to global warming and depletion of resources plus wasteful generation of products discarded for next years model, repeatedly.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Slipping into Madness lordnoddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiireybabe View Post
    Ive looked on a few sites, Wikipedia, etc.
    I do hope you're referencing PF1 in your Essays/Surveys... Wasn't it you that did the "Woman in IT" thread too? :-P

"PressF1 - helping people pass their Uni/Polytech courses since ages ago" - This could be my new signature actually XD
    Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes... that way when you do judge them you're a mile away... and you have THEIR shoes!

Wanderer

I dunno about the big picture in IT but to use IT as a tool. There may have been better efficiency with newer systems, saving of paper, more productive/faster ie email, networking, electronic filing, how the big networks like universities can remotely shut down computers in the evenings and remotely wakeup computers so students don't need to waste time in booting them up, saving labour costs so people don't have to manually go to each machine to turn them off/on. The systems goes into low power, ie, dims the monitor or turns it of, hdd slows down ........ It could also be in each country ie., carbon taxing so it may be in their incentive to do better. Employees and customers generally prefer to work/buy from a sustainable seen company. Random reports or protesters can also affect not so good sustainable companies. It's also not just IT with IT stuff. It could be sustainable in terms of the workforce. Ie. they can develop their workforce, have good morale/culture, reward them properly, have nice programs like superannuation. So this IT company or company that uses IT can be more competitive in the labour market.

Maybe society have moved onto now they see CSR as more of a priority. Ie., the industrial revolution where it was okay but compared to it now. Look at the IT companies diverse stakeholder list. So some companies now, have them (optionally) benchmarked in their annual reports and some go for 3rd party accreditation althou how robust is that is another topic.

When we studied CSR this was a video provided to us, could be interesting too ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pin8fbdGV9Y
    Last edited by Nomad; 15-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Call me crazy but it sounds like if you're having trouble understanding the question you should discuss it with your lecturer. This seems more like a "Hey guys can you start writing this forme and I'll just finish it off"...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Developing and using new technologies that reduce the consumption of resources - such as renewable energy technologies.
    Ensuring companies are pro-active in their role of CSER for example ensuring raw materials for technology production do not come from sources where human rights are effected (illegal mining in Democratic Republic of Congo)
    Having commitment to an electronics industry recognized Social and Environmental Code of Conduct, EICC

CSER relates to IT industry sustainability in much the same way as it does in the sustainability of any business type and shares the same business drivers.

Hope that helps a little
    (Yes it is that John )