Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Playtech selling open box items as new?

I ordered a graphics card for use in a PC and it came next day as advertised (that part was OK). Upon opening the box I noticed the anti-static bag was crumpled and then saw it was sealed with a crinkled bit of sellotape and the original seal wasn't even present. The card may have been used, a warranty return, fondled, who knows.

Called Playtech and was expecting the issue to be solved over the phone, but it wasn't and I was told I would be dealt with via an email later on. I would have thought a company that sent out an open box item which was sold as a new item would be apologetic and do their utmost to sort the problem out. I was offered no apology and being fobbed off to be told I would be dealt with via email later on has left me feeling bitter (hence going online to see if this is normal company behaviour).

I was told by a work mate that Playtech were meant to be a reputable company, but he hasn't used them before. Have any of you guys tried their customer service? Is my experience a one off?

I have ordered loads of stuff online when back in the UK and have never received an open box item when stuff was sold as new. Is this a NZ thing in which it is generally accepted to receive open box, or do the same rules apply to items sold online? I'm used to ordering new items and receiving factory sealed but wondering if this is common place for computer components online here?

Computer Tech

Default Re: Playtech selling open box items as new?

It could be that they opened it in the shop just to show a customer??
    So hasn't actually been installed and used in a PC.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Playtech over the years, this laptop I'm using right now came from them, and never had an issue.
    After sales support has been great too when I've needed it.

Thanks. That is the problem though, they offered no explanation as to why it was open box stock so who knows where it has been or why it is missing factory seals. Have the items you received been sealed or is open box generally accepted? I'll upload a picture of the item when I have access to an image upload site (back to work now so its probably blocked).
    Last edited by Naki; 13-11-2012 at 01:45 PM.

The Zeditor (Admin)

Consumer rights-wise, it's not legal to sell "as new" anything which is not new. It would come under misleading conduct to do so. If the product was used, it should be sold as such.

The Zeditor (Admin)

Quote Originally Posted by Naki View Post
    Thanks. That is the problem though, they offered no explanation as to why it was open box stock so who knows where it has been or why it is missing factory seals. Have the items you received been sealed or is open box generally accepted? I'll upload a picture of the "new" item.
    It's my opinion that you'd be within your rights to ask for a replacement that has not been opened.

IT Contractor

Playtech, in my experience, have always been phenomenal in both sales and post-sales customer service. That said, some of their part-time staff are not in a position to provide answers, which is probably why they've advised you will get a follow-up - they need to get someone in a position to give you a proper answer to deal with it. Personally, I prefer this approach than what many other companies do, and tell you something you want to hear to shut you up and then have a drawn out battle to actually get the agreed resolution.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

If it wasn't electronic I wouldn't care to be honest, but what happens if I open the dodgy sellotape sticker and the thing is broken. I then have to try and battle warranty, etc, etc so I have left it as it is in the box. That's why with electronics I rarely buy used, let alone open box products in shops even when they are on offer (which wasn't even the case here as it was sold as new).

I'm mostly just dissapointed in the customer service so far from Playtech. I work for a large IT company and the guys here have recommended Computer Lounge and have personally used them, so kinda gutted I didn't use them instead! Ah well, I'll know for the next order

Fair enough use part time staff, but if a customer gets a bad experience like I did on my first order, it becomes very hard to trust said company again as that is my only experience (hence this post to find out if it is commonplace or not as I have no idea!)
    Last edited by Naki; 13-11-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Computer Tech

I guess you could take photos of it, as it arrived to you, and email them to Playtech and ask for an explanation and a replacement, if that's what you want.

They have been pretty good with the RMA and are paying to have it shipped back to them as it is their error. I had to call back to chase a response, but they sorted it this time around on the phone and I am now awaiting the courier papers through the post to return it. I don't want to risk having another open box replacement so have ordered a replacement from elsewhere, but hopefully the RMA process proves smooth. Will update the post to let people know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Naki View Post
    what happens if I open the dodgy sellotape sticker and the thing is broken. I then have to try and battle warranty, etc, etc
    Bit of an overreaction isn't it?
    Was it faulty?
    Was it used - was it dusty etc?

Did you wait until they emailed?

Why assume there would be a warranty battle?
    wipe your paws.