Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: WOF Debate

Default WOF Debate

Who saw the Fair Go item on the car repair?
    It's been my experience with WOFs.

I have been told all sorts of stuff:

Shocks failed
    Brake master cylinder failed
    Brake linings failed

and so on. None of which were the case.

The cylinder one, these guys had changed some hoses in my car, they had to remove and replace this to get at the hoses. It dipped a bit when they did so. A couple of weeks later and they fail it on this. I point out they caused the drip. No, fail.

Go home, clean drips, send husband back - passed.

Linings? Go home, take a look, linings fine, send husband back, pass.

I have only ever come across one honest mechanic. He was a backyard mechanic. The rest were like the guy on Fair Go.
    wipe your paws.

IT Contractor

Default Re: WOF Debate

Use somewhere that doesn't do the repairs themselves, and you'll find they no longer have a motivation to fail you unnecessarily just to drum up business...
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Not many 'trustworthy' car mechanics out there nowadays! I had one garage failed my WOF saying that one of my wheel has got some problem (too loose or something like that) and wanted $480.00 to fix it. No, no. I know my was OK. I took my car back, sent to another garage, and he passed it. This car has passed all the WOF tests since then. The charges for issuing a WOF varies from $15 to $50, different garage has different rates; this is just not right!

This WOF thingie is just an other way to give the car mechanics a chance to generate money!

I'm still looking a good and trustworthy mechanic and have been looking for 20+ years but to no avail.

Slipping into Madness lordnoddy's Avatar

Not being sexist but I've heard of WOF places failing female for things such as the above as they assume the woman will not know anything about cars and just pay out for the repairs. Hence passing when your husband took the car.

I went to VTNZ for a WOF on my old Mazda Familia in ~2010 and passed but was advised to replace a bulb in my rear break light. I didn't bother (seeing as I passed) and took my little car to another place 6 months later and passed without word of the tail light =\

So inconsistant...
    Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes... that way when you do judge them you're a mile away... and you have THEIR shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by inphinity View Post
    Use somewhere that doesn't do the repairs themselves, and you'll find they no longer have a motivation to fail you unnecessarily just to drum up business...
    Maybe it's a good idea but then, they have 'connections' with other repair garages and get easy 'kick backs'! no difference. This system is just not right.

Yeah my sister went to her regular mech to get something sorted 3 weeks after getting a WOF from VTNZ, they mentioned she needed 4 new tyres....went back to VTNZ and they checked she was still well within the limit of tread.
    sounds like politicians
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me

Quote Originally Posted by lordnoddy View Post
    Not being sexist but I've heard of WOF places failing female for things such as the above as they assume the woman will not know anything about cars and just pay out for the repairs. Hence passing when your husband took the car.

I went to VTNZ for a WOF on my old Mazda Familia in ~2010 and passed but was advised to replace a bulb in my rear break light. I didn't bother (seeing as I passed) and took my little car to another place 6 months later and passed without word of the tail light =\

So inconsistant...
    Did you bother to check if your *brake* light was actually working? There is an unusual scenario where it is possible for a light bulb to not work but a gentle tap makes it work.

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

The most honest mechanic I know in West Auckland is Hans at Candia Autos on Swanson Road, followed by Rick at Triangle Autos in Triangle Road.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

We've got a few good ones in Motueka, mainly Parsons Motors, they are excellent.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    The most honest mechanic I know in West Auckland is Hans at Candia Autos on Swanson Road, followed by Rick at Triangle Autos in Triangle Road.
    And in Central Auckland, Barry at MSM Automotive in Station Rd, Penrose. Had my Camry in for an oil seal replacement, the seal cost around $25, but to get to it entailed removing the engine. About 5 hours work in total and a bill way into the hundreds. A few weeks later, the leak was back again. Barry thought perhaps the seal had a minor nick in it, so replaced the seal again, again having to remove the engine. Problem fixed, and at no charge. No arguments, and a win win situation because I'm a customer for life.

I dropped off an appropriate contribution for the workshop's Friday night social get-together.

Last edited by WalOne; 11-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen