Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Image problem on Trade Me

Hasn't Trademe been trialling a new layout recently? This might be an artefact of that rather than a local PC issue...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Pretends to know things

There's an ff pluggin that displays images regardless of if the seller has selected gallery or not from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by stratex5 View Post
    Is this what u see billy?
    Yes, except that some pages have no photos and others have a mix of blanks/photos.

Re Jen's comment, the reverse seems to be the case, the deeper I go, the fewer photos I see. I thought I spotted something in one response re "gallery view" that might be an answer. I have not intentionally changed any configuration settings, but a random click can wreak havoc, so I'll go back and see what I can find.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    Re Jen's comment, the reverse seems to be the case, the deeper I go, the fewer photos I see.
    That is what I meant. Page 1 has the most pictures and page 5 very few. Depends upon what filter you have selected. I assume TradeMe sorts "Best Match" with the gallery/featured ads displaying before those with no 'extras' added on. That is why the 'no photo' ads tend to be grouped together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    That is what I meant. Page 1 has the most pictures and page 5 very few. Depends upon what filter you have selected. I assume TradeMe sorts "Best Match" with the gallery/featured ads displaying before those with no 'extras' added on. That is why the 'no photo' ads tend to be grouped together.
    I think I may be onto it Jen.

I see in their FAQs that TM has recently changed its photo software (or something like that) and that there are some browser/java issues. Maybe that is the problem. I usually see a photo for every item except the very rare example for which no photo has been loaded at all. It seems now that it may be displaying photos only on listings for which a Gallery photo has been requested. I can't see any configurable option in the TM website software (doesn't mean it isn't there though) but I haven't been playing around with TM either, so the chances of a random cock-up by me are reasonably low. I have no filters selected, in fact I know nothing about filters at all other than my favourites list.

So, it might be my elderly Firefox that is causing the problem, and on that topic, I have much more recent versions here on PC World DVDs (remember them?) so if I update to the most recent version I have available, will it leave my present configurations and settings alone or will I have to go through all that set-up drama again?
    OS is XP Pro-SP3, current with all updates.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I think I may be onto it Jen.

I see in their FAQs that TM has recently changed its photo software (or something like that) and that there are some browser/java issues. Maybe that is the problem. I usually see a photo for every item except the very rare example for which no photo has been loaded at all. It seems now that it may be displaying photos only on listings for which a Gallery photo has been requested. I can't see any configurable option in the TM website software (doesn't mean it isn't there though) but I haven't been playing around with TM either, so the chances of a random cock-up by me are reasonably low. I have no filters selected, in fact I know nothing about filters at all other than my favourites list.

So, it might be my elderly Firefox that is causing the problem because I can't even find a 'Gallery View' option as mentioned by Nick G, and on that topic, I have much more recent Firefox versions here on PC World DVDs (remember them?) so if I update to the most recent version I have available, will it leave my present configurations and settings alone or will I have to go through all that set-up drama again?

OS is XP Pro-SP3, current with all updates.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Pretends to know things

Gallery is right next to list view. Directly below the sub categories.

Quote Originally Posted by icow View Post
    Gallery is right next to list view. Directly below the sub categories.
    OK, I finally found that by opening TM from its first page (my screen icon is set to open it elsewhere) however Gallery View is not what I use or want. I have always preferred List view for rapid scrolling, and that has always delivered images. On the rare occasions when the seller has not included a photo, it simply says 'no photograph available' (or similar wording) but not the present camera image which I assume is intended to indicate that a photo is available on the listing.

That tends to suggest that it might indeed be an outdated browser issue, so as soon as I find out whether updating will be a mission and involve a lot of consequential reconfiguring of other functions, I'll do it and see if that fixes it. It is a working day for me so I can't afford to stop for some hours to fiddle with my computer, I need it to be working as it is now. All I need is for somebody to tell me if updating will cause me consequential grief.

Firefox "Help -About" tells me this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E)

Yes, I know it is rather geriatric in computer terms.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I know this should really be on F1 now, not chat.

Whatever the Image Problem may be, it's nothing compared to the other Image Problem that Wheedle made for itself.

(logs off to the sound of the rich flushing their money)

Thumbs up Re: Image problem on Trade Me

You will need to update the Firefox addon to show the pictures. Trademe has been changing things around.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/149392
    Ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?