Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Online Streaming/Downloading of movies and TV in New Zealand

So a friend of mine has just bought an Android MK802 (I'm assuming this) and has asked what options are available for her and her husband to download/stream movies and TV legally online through this device without having to pirate (cost isn't really much of an issue). Obviously Apple is out of the question, as are US options such as NetFlix and Amazon Video. I suggested setting up a home server and ripping all their DVDs and music to that and then streaming them locally, or adding another HDD to the home PC and doing the same thing and using Plex Media or something similar.

Any other suggestions? They are both relatively tech savvy, especially for their age (mid 40s) so they'd basically be up for most things.

Cheers

Default Re: Online Streaming/Downloading of movies and TV in New Zealand

Quickflix
    iSky (if you have a sky subscription as well)
    TVNZ ondemand
    TV3 ondemand.

http://www.freitasm.com/8178

and
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DBjOFg3d1N6UlE

list all the options (not just NZ but do list NZ options both free and pay)
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Talking Re: Online Streaming/Downloading of movies and TV in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar09 View Post
    They are both relatively tech savvy, especially for their age (mid 40s) so they'd basically be up for most things.

Cheers
    Tread carefully, Darkstar ...

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar09 View Post

Any other suggestions? They are both relatively tech savvy, especially for their age (mid 40s) so they'd basically be up for most things.

Cheers
    yes tread very carefully

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

You can easily setup a VPN and stream from the US with Netflix / Google Movies. I've done it, wasn't difficult at all
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    yes tread very carefully
    +10
    Those of us in our mid 40's grew up through the age computers came into existance, we had to learn how to drive DOS command lines because that was the only way to use our PC's, I've been building PC's since my first 2nd hand 386 proved unable to handle the first person shooters I wanted to play. I'd suggest to you that 40 through 60 is the age group of some of the most tech savvy people on the planet.

Anyway Rant aside;
    Quickflix doesn't work on android
    TVNZ/ TV3 on demand might work, maybe
    Dunno about iSky

If it's flash based it should work, but flash support has been dropped from android and is unlikely to be developed further so who knows if it'll keep working.
    Basically there are no decent streaming options available legally in NZ for PC, and even less for android.

I hoped Quickflix would be the answer but I have not been impressed with it, the new releases take too long to be available and cost more than my local video store, the quality is mediocre at best, and the range of TV shows is pretty limited. The only saving grace is the large catalogue of older movies available to watch for free (well aside from the mothly fee). TiVo recently burst back into life with CASPA and added some new movies after months of nothing, but it's still pretty poor as well.

It's good to see some companies trying, but the offerings to date are poor. I believe a large part of the problem is content licensing with Sky and TVNZ/TV3 owning the distribution rights to a lot of content (sky particularly) making it difficult for anyone else to offer that content. Eventually I'd expect something like Netflix or Hulu to make it here, but not in any great hurry as it's a small market with a lot of hurdles in the way.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    yes tread very carefully
    Or be carefully trodden on
    FTW

^^ what dugimodo said.

Quicklflix was a PITA, and unsubscribing requires *so* much effort actually ringing them, going through a ton of questions... It's a great way to keep you locked in :-/

Hes right about none of those working on Android though, due to them being flash-based.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

Well android does do Flash so they should work in theory. From what I understand there will be no further development on flash though.
    Quickflix is silverlight though and that definately doesn't, maybe someone will write an app. It does work on my PS3 but it's still not great.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Flash support stopped in Jellybean, and isn't available in Chrome if you're running ICS either, only stock browser.

The Silverlight app was a whore, trying to get that to work well on Linux :-/

Quality was *terrible*, worse than my 10-year old first DVD XviD rips.... and the selection sucked ass.