Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Freeview|HD tuner/DVR under $300 - is Tivo still the way to go?

Friends are moving to Freeview|HD and want an all in one DVR/Tuner device that's easy to use. Tivo still the best bet?
    Last edited by wratterus; 24-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Default Re: Freeview|HD tuner/DVR under $300 - is Tivo still the way to go?

At the price yeah, especially if you can get it at $200 which seems to be a common weekend special. The only other devices in the same price range are set top boxes that can record to USB so you still need a suitable external hard drive or flash drive to record to.
    As long as they have a broadband connection and can connect to the TiVo via a cable or wireless. It doesn't work without internet connectivity.

I haven't watched live TV since getting my Tivo.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thanks.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Yeah we've recently picked one up off TradeMe for $170. The two are now linked, so it means SWMBO can record shows in the living room, then head off to bed and finish watching them there if she gets sleepy. Fantastic stuff!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Yeah we've recently picked one up off TradeMe for $170. The two are now linked, so it means SWMBO can record shows in the living room, then head off to bed and finish watching them there if she gets sleepy. Fantastic stuff!
    Luxury!
    FTW

Nice...there aren't many on TM at the mo, I'm watching a few, but I can't even find them on Noel Leeming or Bond & Bond's websites.

Do you know how 'forgiving' the tuners are? It's a fringe area...in the same area I've had TVs with built in tuners work fine with a 43 element aerial, but a USB tuner struggle.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Nice...there aren't many on TM at the mo, I'm watching a few, but I can't even find them on Noel Leeming or Bond & Bond's websites.
    Yeah the guy that I picked it up from had gone to one of those major chains and bought up some 200 demo models for cheap from each store.
    Was a bit of a PITA to get the new one added on to our existing TiVo Online Account (So they could be linked on the LAN here) because it'd previously been registered. However once that was done, it's been fantastic, I'm thrilled with it! TiVo itself is still fantastic, no issues with it at all, quite reliable.

Previously had a couple of cheaper no-name chinese brands whatever that were nowhere near as reliable or good with the multi-recording + playback.

Best part of it is there was something on TV2, TV3 and 4 all playing at the same time a couple of weeks back that the Mrs wanted to watch, but we were gonna be out at the time and you can only record two channels while watching a third.... So she recorded the 3rd on the bedroom TiVo. Problems solved!
    ...also meant I had a solid nights worth of gaming the next night while she caught up on TV
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Haha ideal.

Well, bought a Tivo 320, paid a little more that we really wanted ($279 incl postage) but it was brand new, came with the wireless adapter etc so that's fine.

Set it up, went through great, found the registration etc a breeze. For some reason it wouldn't pick up TV3 plus 1, but that's a minor niggle.

What isn't a minor niggle is this. Tivo went fine for 3 days, then it got stuck on a grey screen. Power cycled, comes up with the welcome screen, then grey. Left unplugged overnight, same thing. Removed wireless adapter etc, same thing. Had a look online and basically this issue appears to be a faulty hard drive. I found 'kickstart codes' for Tivos, but was a bit confused by them, and not sure which ones worked with the Tivo320 I've got here. Things like a SMART test etc, which would be handy to be able to run, however it doesn't seem to get 'far enough'
    to even do anything like that.

I've emailed the chap I bought it off, I see replacement hard drives are $75 off trademe, would that be the best way forward?

If it's new it should be possible to get it fixed under warranty, might be a bit difficult with you not having purchased it directly but maybe the guy you purchased it off can help. It could also be worth having a look around the Tivo website to see if there is any service information. Some companies won't honour warranty periods for 2nd hand goods and others just go from the serial number and age of the item and if it's still under warranty they honour it.

An example is some faulty corsair RAM I had, I had no receipt or proof of purchase but went direct to corsair with the serial number and they RMAd it without question. I had expected to have to contact my supplier and ask for a receipt but it wasn't needed.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070