Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Windows 8 - Who is using it?

Thoughts?

Default Re: Windows 8 - Who is using it?

Might as well use the Xbox, since its interface is similar. And will probably be better once it gets a browser, which maybe later this year

Have the enterprise version running on a pc at work, but haven't really had a lot of time with it.....
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Was using it, then went back to windows 7. Got sick of the pathetic integration between metro and desktop.. like you have 2 settings apps - One metro, one desktop.
    My Tech:

i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, AOC 1080p monitor, K280 case
    Nexus 7 II (2013)
    Nexus 4

Using it right now to type this. Committing myself to getting used to using it and possibly an eventual upgrade. (After all, Microsoft gave it to me for free via Dreamspark, so why not...)
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Got it (RTM) on a PC in the lounge. Works OK, nothing flash yet, finding some things is fun, but finding out how to work it as MS designed it - even though it has the metro interface, its easy enough to get used to I find, and even the better half got used to it quickly.

What was a bonus, was finally figuring out a quick way to close the Apps from metro, instead of having them all running.

Startup and shutdown times are much faster. Even my poor old media center works fine with the preview version ( only because its got a working Media Center - the RTM wont have it till it goes public), in fact I ONLY use the metro on that, dont actually go to the desktop at all.

Naughty, it's not called Metro any more

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    was finally figuring out a quick way to close the Apps from metro, instead of having them all running.
    Can you enlighten us?

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    Using it right now to type this. Committing myself to getting used to using it and possibly an eventual upgrade. (After all, Microsoft gave it to me for free via Dreamspark, so why not...)
    I'm in the same boat, installed it Monday afternoon and so far I've basically only used the desktop mode
    I've played around with the metro interface briefly but it doesn't seem like there are any useful apps in the app store yet and the only thing I have found a use for so far is music and even that doesn't seem to be "great"

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    Can you enlighten us?
    Second that, It's not like I'm short on ram but I think I've got a heap of random apps open (media player, pdf viewer, mail and chat etc) with no idea how to close them?

So far the only problem I've had was little things, like I seem to be permanently connected to one of the uni networks and I don't know how to disconnect short of disabling wifi?? I can't find an option to "forget" or disconnect in the sharing center and right clicking on the network only allows me to turn sharing on or off???

Other little things like, "sh*t how did this open", "how do I go back", "how do I play this" etc have popped up but I'm hoping it's just a learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar09 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, installed it Monday afternoon and so far I've basically only used the desktop mode
    Same although I have played around with some of the default apps.

Twitter

Nope and probably won't upgrade from 7 until 9 comes out, 8 just doesn't do anything for me