Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mmmmmmmm.............Kate Tukapa's Avatar

Default Installing Windows 7 on Mac with VMWare Fusion - need to purchase retail Windows 7?

Hi all

I set up a physiotherapy office with Windows 7 laptops to run special software for the business.

All is going well.

However - one of the staff members is a Mac fan (and unfortunately talked the boss into buying a Mac because they are 'better' before I came onto the scene).

Now they are wanting to run the same special physiotherapy software (which happens to be Windows only) on the two Macs and has asked about installing Windows 7 with VMWare Fusion. Now I happily admit I'm a Mac novice having never had any need or desire to learn about them.

My question is - do they need to purchase a retail version of Windows 7 for each Mac they want to install Windows on? I would presume they would.

Any advice gratefully accepted (would have been easier if they used Windows laptops to run Windows applications).

Thanks.
    Asus P8Z77-V LK, Core i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3 1600, 128GB SSD, 12TB HDD, GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB, Blu-ray writer, Enermax 750W PSU, Coolermaster CM 690 II Case, Windows 8 Professional

Default Re: Installing Windows 7 on Mac with VMWare Fusion - need to purchase retail Windows

Get Bootcamp, thats if the Mac they've got supports it

Default Re: Installing Windows 7 on Mac with VMWare Fusion - need to purchase retail Windows

They already have VMWare Fusion.

My understanding is that boot camp is generally recommended if you want to game and VMWare Fusion for general day to day applications and you don't need to reboot with VMWare Fusion to access Windows.
    Asus P8Z77-V LK, Core i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3 1600, 128GB SSD, 12TB HDD, GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB, Blu-ray writer, Enermax 750W PSU, Coolermaster CM 690 II Case, Windows 8 Professional

Pretends to know things

"do they need to purchase a retail version of Windows 7 for each Mac they want to install Windows on? I would presume they would."

Yes.

Run the BootCamp application, it steps you through the whole process. Some OEM 64 Bit W7 disks don't work and require a work around, I think the issue effects some retail copies too.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Yes they will need a valid license for each machine, makes for a costly setup I would think?
    But maybe your software could work in WINE?
    http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
    Last edited by KarameaDave; 17-09-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Yes they will need a valid license for each machine, makes for a costly setup I would think?
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

Ah well - their choice at the end of the day I guess - I'm quite happy to provide them the software.

Quote Originally Posted by icow View Post
    "do they need to purchase a retail version of Windows 7 for each Mac they want to install Windows on? I would presume they would."

Yes.

Run the BootCamp application, it steps you through the whole process. Some OEM 64 Bit W7 disks don't work and require a work around, I think the issue effects some retail copies too.
    I was wondering if OEM discs would work - I have a few components to buy for other projects so could tag them on at that time, although I imagine technically they should buy retail versions at two and a half times the cost!

Try it under WINE?
    (added this in case you don't see my addition to my last post, had to check if WINE will run on a MAC as I don't use one )

FTW

Pretends to know things

Quote Originally Posted by Tukapa View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

I was wondering if OEM discs would work - I have a few components to buy for other projects so could tag them on at that time, although I imagine technically they should buy retail versions at two and a half times the cost!
    OEM versions *should* work it's just there is some odd glitch with the 64 bit version sometimes, can't remember exactly what happens but there was a work around for it. Worse comes to worst you can simply install XP or Vista and then do an upgrade install with 7.

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Try it under WINE?
    (added this in case you don't see my addition to my last post, had to check if WINE will run on a MAC as I don't use one )

Geez - a quick look at that link and my head is spinning!

I think the physiotherapy software would probably be classed as the 'obscure' software talked about.

I will have a read in a bit more depth and see if WINE could be an option.

Thanks for that!

There may be simpler ways to do it, If Ubuntu or Mint will run under VMware, it is a trivial matter to install WINE in them.
    FTW