Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Post And ANOTHER Verdict In ---->

$675K File-Sharing Penalty Upheld;

• A damages award for downloading and sharing 30 songs that had been reduced to $67,500 from $675,000 is now back to the original six figures after a federal court ruling Thursday in Massachusetts.

CNet reports that U.S. District Court Judge Rya W. Zobel also ruled against Joel Tenenbaum's request for a new trial. Tenenbaum, now 25, was a student at Boston University when record companies filed a copyright lawsuit against him in 2007 and won.

Last month, a different judge found the $675,000 damage award to be "unconstitutionally excessive."

The amount works out to $22,500 a song. But although the trial had focused on 30 songs, in the new ruling, Zobel cites evidence showing that Tenenbaum was repeatedly warned about downloading and sharing "thousands of copyrighted works."

The US Supreme Court has already refused to hear the case.

The BBC reports that Tenenbaum has been fighting the record industry since 2003, when he was first accused of illegal file-sharing.

By the way, a British man who ran XXXXXXXXXXXXX.com*, a website that linked to pirated films and TV shows, was a couple of weeks ago sentenced to four years in prison by a British court.

(* I made a mistake once and actually left the address of another pirate site IN my post and still have that black mark on my dossier here at F1.)

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Not in dev/null yet ChazTheGeek's Avatar

Default Re: And ANOTHER Verdict In ---->

Wow, that's harsh.
    ASUS P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500k 4.2GHz | Hyper 212 EVO | GTX 970OC | 500B SSD | 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue | | 16GB RAM | Corsair 400R | RM850

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChazTheGeek View Post
    Wow, that's harsh.
    Yeah --- it was a simple mistake for me, but the blemish on my otherwise perfect record still haunts me.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

So... (excuse my ignorance) but if I were to make passing reference to the Pirate Bay, which everyone knows about, I'd get a black mark?

Suppose I should read the rules sometime.

Once the US govt achieves a few more twists of political arms, will we be unable to write "wikileaks", and will all references to Asange disappear off the web?

Will the news about Kim Dotcom be muzzled about mentioning the name of his now closed MegaUpload website? Sorry, make that "**********" website.

WaReZ anybody?

Usenet?

So much for freedom of speech in our "democratic" dictatorship.

Yeah, I understand that our kind hosts here need to avoid any risks of being acused of enabling piracy and copyright violation, but if we bend over to too much of this BS then we can only expect to be handed even more of it.

VoidMaster

You're too late, the battle has already been lost with scarcely a whimper from the people, the corporations are, and have been for quite a while, running the world.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche