Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jellybean on the Galaxy S

After another thread this morning where chill mentioned this (and provided links thanks ) I bit the bullet and installed Jellybean on my phone in my lunch break At present google is busy restoring all my apps so I'm leaving it be until it finishes, but it seems like everything is functional.

First I had to install the official 2.3.6 samsung ROM using Odin, that was easy and it looked like an improvement over the stock vodafone ROM so I was tempted to leave it at that for a while, but figured what the hell and carried on.

Next I rooted the phone, again with Odin and again very easy, then I rebooted into recovery mode and installed Hellybeans nightly build - that was a bit trickier. It wasn't immediately obvious where to get the files but I figure it out, then my first attempt failed but I tried again and away she goes.

Looks like a different phone, feels pretty smooth too. I'll be keen to see how it goes over the next week or two and because it's the same basic version as my tablet there's no real learning curve.

Thanks chill.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Slipping into Madness lordnoddy's Avatar

Default Re: Jellybean on the Galaxy S

Yes... Jellybean - Chill has been suggesting this to myself also for my S. Let me know how it goes dugimodo and I may consider it myself.

Can I be cheeky and say Pics or it didn't happen? =P
    Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes... that way when you do judge them you're a mile away... and you have THEIR shoes!

I better get my mate on Jellybean now! Is it stable?
    My Tech:

i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, AOC 1080p monitor, K280 case
    Nexus 7 II (2013)
    Nexus 4

Hmmm... how to get the phone to take a picture of itself.
    I do have a digital camera I guess I could figure out how to post a pic, not something I've usually bothered with.

It's only been a couple of hours, but it's finished all the updates and app reinstalls and everything seems to be in order.
    Only time will tell how stable it's going to be.

On the upside it lets me remove Layar and other apps that I couldn't get rid of before, on the downside the default E-mail app from samsung is gone and I actually rather liked it. I'll have to find a new E-mail program that lets me set up all 3 accounts and have a combined inbox, suggestions anyone?
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Slipping into Madness lordnoddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sahilcc7 View Post
    I better get my mate on Jellybean now! Is it stable?
    See Chill's Post on the Android phone thread - talks about what's stable and what isn't on the second URL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Ah OK. Usually that kind of thing can be fixed by upgrading the radio firmware, it's not too difficult thanks to Odin which Samsung use to flash most of their stuff.

Depends if you've pre-flashed something. If you have, just download, flash the .zip from Recovery and factory reset. Easy
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1775169
    Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/cyanog...oid-4-1-build/

It's not difficult, but well worth it!!
    Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes... that way when you do judge them you're a mile away... and you have THEIR shoes!

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Home + Vol-Down to take a screenshot.
    I've done my brother and sister-in-laws phones over the last two weeks and they're absolutely blown away by it! The speed of it, the slickness... loving it

Considering Jellybean has only been out less than two months and Samsung officially stopped supporting these devices with Gingerbread, yeah, it's pretty damn stable!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Running JB (Westcrip RR ROM, also avaliable for S3) on my S2 atm. Runs a treat. ICS was nice on it too. The Aurora installer is a nice touch (excuse the pun :P) it's a touch based GUI installer that works really nice. Good for novice ROM flashers. They should get a standalone version that replaces CWM just for ease of ROM installs. Also RR has ROM updater that notifies of a new ROM, good for keeping up to date but it wont go away if you know about hte update but dont wanna install. Keeps making notifications.
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

All of that is readily available in ROM Manager.

That and some devices aren't as easy to get custom recoveries on in the first place which has prevented them from doing this kinda thing. Once they're already rooted, again, it's dead simple to get going in ROM Manager, with flashing as well as updates.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

I'm deciding what rom to update to on my S2 now. Finally have a day off work to do this!

Backing up apps and texts now

CyanogenMod is usually a very safe bet if theres an official build