Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PC BUILD Compatibility

Hey all was just looking around this looks like a great community Not sure how this all works but was hoping you guys could help me out.
    Parts :
    CPU: AMD fx 4100 3.6ghZ quad core (I think )
    Gpu: Sapphire radeon HD 5450 1gb
    Mobo: ASUS M5A97
    Ram: 4gb of anything
    Case: clueless if will fit in antec 300
    PSU: Reusing 230w will this be enough?

What do you think about CPU and mobo? Best cheap hard drive ?

Also has anyone heard of gearbot.co.nz,wasn't sure if it was legit for instance it recommends parts from alphacity.co. nz and zcom.co. nz.Has anyone brought from here before? (So prices seem ... off)

Cheers
    Last edited by bigboss295; 12-08-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

Default Re: PC BUILD Compatibility

230 watts? doubt it. 500 watts is a pretty minimal figure these days, i suggest you consider a decent corsair or seasonic psu.

also what do you want to do on it? games? office?
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

What's your old machines specs? and what is your aim for the upgrade? It's hard to make reccomendations wothout knowing what you want it for.
    I haven't seen a sub 300W PSU outside a SFF machine in many years. It's actually a tricky issue but 230W is nowhere near enough for a modern desktop, it is entirely possible to run one from a GOOD 350-400W PSU but if you put a gaming graphics card in then as 8ft said it's safer to start around the 500W mark.

I don't much trust all the random suppliers that get suggested by the likes of pricespy (haven't tried gearbot) so I tend to stick to ones I have used and trust.
    Personally I use;
    www.pp.co.nz
    www.computerlounge.co.nz
    www.pbtech.co.nz or actually for me the local branch which is www.pbtechnz.com

Myself I have stuck with inTel since the Core 2 duo days as AMD has dropped behind in terms of performance, their processors are still good for the price but you limit the platforms potential performance by going AMD (or more simply you can't upgrade as far).

Give us a rough budget and an Idea of what you're after and maybe we can make some suggestions.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

thanks for quick reply. Your right 230 isn't anywhere near enough.
    Would you recommend a cooler master psu?

Old spec :
    CPU : Intel core duo 2.66
    Ram: 2gb
    Gpu: Nvidia Geforce 9300 (512mb on card)
    Vista

Keep in mind this was bought not built

In new build purpose would probably be gaming med -high spec on games such as crysis 2 etc looking for solid build but budget of 600 I may stretch it. Not too sure , it depends. Referring to Intel and AMD, never had a AMD , duo serves fairly good seems like fx 4100 was cheaper choice than Intel? (from what I could see). Has anyone bought from alphacity.co. nz ?

Do you think HD 5450 would even handle crysis I know it has 1gb so. ... ? (600mhz ish core clock I think ) ?

Ill get some links up for you soon

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

i doubt it, my laptop has a 5470 and it struggles to do skyrim, l4d2, etc.

If you're doing high resolution games then you're going to need to save more money I'm afraid. Especially factoring in things like operating system and such.

What you might consider doing is buying a new PSU and graphics card now and then buying the rest later on. The power supply is a must, but I don't recommend coolermaster if you're serious about the whole thing. If you got say, a corsair or seasonic 600-650 watt you'll be set, if you grab a 700+ watt of either brand you should be set for maybe even another upgrade. Same sort of deal for the GPU.
    Provided your PCI E slot is compatible with the newer cards, you could see a dramatic improvement simply by slotting in a new graphics card.
    If it's not, then just keep saving until you can afford some more grunt, or you'll forever be buying old technology.
    Hell even my 5770 is gonna need updating by the time I get out of university if any new games come out that I want to play.

Fortunately final project is gonna stave off gaming too much for now.

oh and don't get a sapphire card. get asus or gigabyte preferably.
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

Pretends to know things

If you want to play crysis at max settings you need at least a 7770 (1920 x 1080).

Quote Originally Posted by bigboss295 View Post
    would probably be gaming med -high spec on games such as crysis 2 etc l
    Do you think HD 5450 would even handle crysis I know it has 1gb so. ... ? (600mhz ish core clock I think ) ?
    No. It's high end.

You need a way better PSU and way better GPU. GPU is the single most important gaming component.
    wipe your paws.

A 2.66 core 2 Duo is still a capable CPU, better than any of AMD's Dual cores and not much worse than their quads. Very few games use more than 2 cores so quads really aren't needed for gaming but a higher clock speed would help newer titles. An article worth looking at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,3106.html

As for the graphics card, they are really hard to compare by looking at specs. It's best to go to review sites and read up on them because the amount of Memory and clock speed of the GPU really tells you nothing about it's performance. The 7770 someone mentioned is a really good starting point for current games, unfortunatley gaming graphics are not cheap items. This article and particularly the chart at the end is worth a read http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

The best gaming perfromance you can get on a low budget in my opinion would be;
    Upgrade your PSU
    Upgrade your graphics card to something from 7770 min level up to maybe a 560Ti or 7850 as a max(and expensive) option
    Double your RAM (don't spend too much to do this though because the other parts you could keep if you replaced the mainboard
    If windows is sluggish have a clean out or consider reinstalling.

You could also look for a faster clocked 2nd hand core 2 quad for cheap but again don't spend too much on your old hardware.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

http://www.alphacity.co.nz/ and http://www.ascent.co.nz/ are really good cheap shops xcept alphacity charges like 20-40 bucks shipping to south island. And a their prices dont show gst until you click on it so thats why it looks too cheap

The 2 best online shops for customer service and most members on here will agree are Computer lounge and Ascent, both have comprehensive stocks, both ship very quickly often same day or next day depending on how you pay AND more importantly both have a very good returns policy on faulty goods as well as free shipping.

I personally don't shop anywhere else unless forced too