Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pacific Fibre gives up - No second fibre optic cable !

Just saw on the news and in the Herlad that Pacific Fibre Ltd have given up trying to raise the funding to build NZ's second fibre optic cable to the USA and Australia.

This is bad news.

If those guys who were some big hitters and they had some good customers linedd up, could not do it, who will be able to.

It means that we are going to be stuck high data caps and high prices for years.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Pacific Fibre gives up - No second fibre optic cable !

Yeah it's a shame. Saw this on twitter, pretty much sums things up:

"It's hard to believe NZ can find money for motorways, irrigation, stadiums, but not for a 2nd connection to billions of consumers/services/$"
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

So the Govt goes ahead putting in UFBB throughout the country only to be bottle-necked by the existing out-dated cable back to nearly snail pace. What a shame.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

Just heard it on the TV1 news this morning they were about 400 million short in funding to complete the job. There was a suggestion that it could have made an ideal investment for the New Zealand Super fund.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

IT Contractor

It's gonna suck, as it means a longer wait until our international bandwidth is upgraded. But I always wondered why they didn't push for more investment from Australia... oh well. We'll see in another year or two when the cause is picked up again.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Wonder if their decision had anything to do with the US taxing the connection at their Border that they intend to implement in the future

No doubt their cost projections would head North

Quote Originally Posted by Iantech View Post
    So the Govt goes ahead putting in UFBB throughout the country only to be bottle-necked by the existing out-dated cable back to nearly snail pace. What a shame.
    None of the players claim that there is a capacity problem. The Southern Cross cable has spare capacity. For retail customers in NZ the problem is that ISPs spend less on capacity than Australian ISPs therefore making more money. http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...rous-with-data

It's time for the Maori community to contribute (from the previous successfull claims) back to the NATION - if they consider New Zealand is their country!

Yes I tend to think that the NZ super fund should not have invested in this sort of thing, as it is a bit speculative.
    I mean there would have been no gaurantee of its success in getting enough customers to provide enough traffic to make it viable.

But I do agree with NZ super fund etc buying proven assets.

I suppose all we can do it keep complaining about data caps - many other countries don't have them.
    And to wait for the ufb project to ramp up and wait for problems to appear then.

There is also the point of security.
    What if the cable got damaged ?
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

IT Contractor

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    There is also the point of security.
    What if the cable got damaged ?
    One would imagine they would have implemented it into a redundant loop setup or similar. The existing southern cross cable I believe is set up in a triple loop.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505