Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    An old sod

Red face Good money being wasted on PCs and laptops

Me thinks there is a lot of money being wasted by people who simply should quit their PCs and laptops for a tablet.
    Mostly it is the older generation who are daunted by technology.
    Had 2 instances just today. An elderly neighbour called in and happened to mention that he had had a tech looking at his laptop this week because the anti virus was not updating.
    An older brother at their Gold Coast apartment had a tech there when I rang because they could not clear emails on their laptop.
    Growled at both of them and even though money is not a prob they are reticent to change their ways!
    My bet is that in a couple of years or less the saturation of the tablets will be with us - computer techos - keep your CVs updated!
    "Why work on Wednesday and stuff up two good long weekends"
    W10 Home 64-bit,Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz,RAM 16GB, ROG STRIX B360-I GAMING (LGA1151),PHL 257E7 (1920x1080@60Hz),4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA), 1TB SSD, 4TB HDD, 4TB USB SSD.

mikebartnz

Default Re: Good money being wasted on PCs and laptops

Quote Originally Posted by stuffed View Post
    Mostly it is the older generation who are daunted by technology.
    That is more or less a fallacy. If you go through this forum there are plenty of oldies. It has more to do with the type of person you are than age but the younger generation do have a certain advantage.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebartnz View Post
    That is more or less a fallacy. If you go through this forum there are plenty of oldies. It has more to do with the type of person you are than age but the younger generation do have a certain advantage.
    Mikebartnz, learn logic please. Stuffed was saying that most of the people who who are daunted by technology are older people, not that most older people are daunted by technology. As the younger generations have grown up with this technology while the older gernerations haven't, there is almost certainly truth in this. P implies Q does not mean Q implies P.

An old sod

Sorry but strongly disagree as have headed up a group of about 100 seniors computing group in our community. About 1/3rd of them now have iPads.
    W10 Home 64-bit,Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz,RAM 16GB, ROG STRIX B360-I GAMING (LGA1151),PHL 257E7 (1920x1080@60Hz),4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA), 1TB SSD, 4TB HDD, 4TB USB SSD.

mikebartnz

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Mikebartnz, learn logic please. Stuffed was saying that most of the people who who are daunted by technology are older people, not that most older people are daunted by technology. As the younger generations have grown up with this technology while the older gernerations haven't, there is almost certainly truth in this. P implies Q does not mean Q implies P.
    Stop being a prat why do you think I put that "the younger generation do have a certain advantage."?

mikebartnz

Quote Originally Posted by stuffed View Post
    Sorry but strongly disagree as have headed up a group of about 100 seniors computing group in our community. About 1/3rd of them now have iPads.
    I fail to get your logic there.

Stop being a prat why do you think I put that "the younger generation do have a certain advantage."?
    Well, if by that you meant that the older generation do have difficulties with technology, why the hell are you disagreeing with stuffed.

Oh, wait, you're mikebartnz.

An old sod

I fail to get your logic there.
    Simple really. Some are "latching on" - the others eventually will follow - in the meantime they are wasting their money.

Cant take it with you.

If they have the interest then why is it an issue?

Unless we are referring to the lies and bullshit spouted by salespeople in certain stores.
    better Dredd then dead

Lets see over 40 reached the Point where tecnology has overtaken me.

My Desktop PC ony recently recieved a LCD screen, I still use windows XP , I have a couple of games installed one is Flight Sim 2004 I can not be arsed upgrading to FSX or what ever is out there now and my favourite game was originally designed in 1999 yet give me hours of fun. Now heres the thing I am actually now considering a Laptop because they look cool now

My cellphone is basic and even though I have a iphone4 I still prefer my dated Telecom XT R6 over it and the Nokia I got given mainly because I can find it and its not been pinched by the wife and Daughter who play the games on it.

Eventually I will catch up again but over the last 10-15 years I have come to realise how much money I have wasted trying to keep up and am now in the happy state of dont change unless it is broke!

Basically I am a techno sellers worst nightmare!!!!