Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Needs a reversed Cougar! tuiruru's Avatar

Default Some nerdy syntax required

Hi

I've go both data and portable apps stored in folders on my USB drive. I want to put a shortcut at the root level of the drive to take me to the portable app launcher that I've got in a folder. The trouble is the drive letter changes depending on the computer I stick it in - on my laptop at home it's "G", on a computer in an office I do voluntary work in it's "E". Is there some sort of path variable I can type into the shortcut dialogue box that will automatically pick up the new drive letter?

Thanks
    Noli illegitimi carborundorum

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Default Re: Some nerdy syntax required

".\subfolder\program.exe"

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

That, and you can always manually assign to a letter on both machines that is very rarely used: B!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

fred, I tried that with a win7 shortcut and the program got run but the shortcut subsequently had the drive letter subbed back again. So from here it looks like a one-off solution, only. Also, it wouldn't accept the . part in the 'Startin' box.

I use the Chill solution which seems to work OK. For example, my ext drive is U:.

IT Contractor

%CD% is the command line variable for the current working directory, that may be of use. You can always substring it to get the drive letter.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    That, and you can always manually assign to a letter on both machines that is very rarely used: B!
    Hi Chill - I'm going abroad so will be using it on all sorts of different machines. Is it possible to tell the USB drive that it will always be, say, "U"? How?

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by inphinity View Post
    %CD% is the command line variable for the current working directory, that may be of use. You can always substring it to get the drive letter.
    Hi Inphinity

"You can always substring it to get the drive letter" - sorry - I don't know what that means

John Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by inphinity View Post
    Hi Inphinity

"You can always substring it to get the drive letter" - sorry - I don't know what that means

John Glenn

Here's a bit more about the scenario.

I'm going abroad and taking the USB drive with me, so it will be going onto all sorts of machines. I've got some portable apps on the drive each in it's own folder - all work OK. I installed a portable app Launcher called Codysafe, which again works OK and is in it's own folder. I wanted a shortcut that would launch the launcher from the root directory. I've since discovered that Cody puts a little .exe file in the root directory which will do this, but now I'm just curious how it could be done if that.exe wasn't there.

John Glenn

IT Contractor

Oh, that makes it easier. A batch file in the root that executes
    ..\<CodySafeFolder>\<CodeSafeApp.ext>
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505