Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Long range wireless with TPLink's TL-WA5210G

Hey ya guys

Having a bit of issue setting up this long range wireless environment.

At the moment I have two sites that I want bring together under one LAN. (this is more of a personal setup, rather than a corporate or business environment)

Location #1 at this stage has a router(built-in modem & wireless)(ip 10.1.1.1,255.255.255.224, DHCP enabled) with internet access and a switch connected to it. Pcs that are connected to this switch. All pcs under this location works fine, file sharing no problem, internet access no problem. In addition to the Pcs connected to the switch, I have connected a TPLink's TLWA5210G access point(10.1.1.21,255.255.255.224).

Location #2, approx 1km away. Contains a wireless router (just a router)(10.1.1.19,255.255.255.224 DHCP enabled) with a 2nd TPLink's TLWA5210G (10.1.1.22,255.255.255.224) access point connected to it.

The two TLWA5210G has been setup in point-to-point bridge mode, with each other mac address set in bridge mode. The two location under this current setup can see all the computer on the network, pings fine. However issue arises when location #2 computer wants to access the internet, the browser simply states page could not be found. Ping test shows that packets simply does not go beyond the local network.

The computers in location #2 has been setup with the following settings:
    Connection: Ethernet
    IP(static): 10.1.1.8/255.255.255.224
    Gateway: 10.1.1.1
    Outcome: Internet access fine.

Connection: Wireless
    Gateway: 10.1.1.1
    Outcome: LAN access fine, no internet

Gateway: 10.1.1.22

Gateway: 10.1.1.19

Thus i was wondering if some one you guys out there have some experience with this TLWA5210G access point or some tips for setting up/bridging up the two sites.

Another major issue with the current setup is that, it seems like I cannot apply WPA-PSK security when the access points are in bridge mode. Thus at the moment users can see the two SSID generated by the Access point with no security, and are able to connect to it and access the LAN resource... .

Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

TL-WA5210G Details: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-WA5210G

Cheers

Default Re: Long range wireless with TPLink's TL-WA5210G

Check the gateway settings on the static clients.
    It should be 10.1.1.1

You also seem to have duplicate IP's.

And you only want ONE DHCP server on any subnet (your existing modem is probably best).

Can't help with the encryption settings.
    Last edited by fred_fish; 08-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Gathering of the storm
    And the winds are blowing wild
    Sweeping over cross and creed, country, colour and child

Cheers Fred.

Good to know that gateway remains the same and only to have one DHCP. You mentioned duplicate IPs? Where abouts?

In addition, for others as well. With such a setup, is it necessary to have a router/switch for the 2nd AP to connect to? Can Pcs do a wireless connection to the 2nd AP and have its data passed back to the main router with internet access?

All the computers in location #2 all have 10.1.1.8 by the looks of it. It looks like the default ip for the TL-WA5210G is 192.168.1.254

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    All the computers in location #2 all have 10.1.1.8 by the looks of it. It looks like the default ip for the TL-WA5210G is 192.168.1.254

Hey ya Speedy, thanks for the update.

Sorry I should have made the example clearer. The details and the IP given are all from the same PC. Hence with a single PC, I have tried with multiple gateway address.

As for the TL-WA5210G, yes the default network was 192.168.1.254, however that has been changed to the same network as location #1, (2nd AP, IP: 10.1.1.22,255.255.255.224).

After further read through the user guide and description of modes, Im suspecting I did not need a router for the setup. Maybe I could just have 2nd AP by itself and have Pcs connecting to it wirelessly.... Typically would this be possible with APs?

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCF View Post
    After further read through the user guide and description of modes, Im suspecting I did not need a router for the setup. Maybe I could just have 2nd AP by itself and have Pcs connecting to it wirelessly.... Typically would this be possible with APs?
    Depends on the manufacturer / firmware feature-set
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Hi CCF
    I am looking at installing the exact same scenario as you, so am interested in your progress.
    From my understanding of your situation
    1. no you cannot have a second DHCP server at Locaction 2 as only one DHCP server is allowed in a single IP subnet (10.1.1.X)
    2. No you do not need the extra router at Location 2. Just connect the TLWA5210G into a switch with the other computers.
    3. The settings for computers at Location 2 should have the same gateway and DNS as the computers at Location 1. I would consider making the IP settings of computers at Location 2 Static IP addresses, because if the link goes down the Location 2 computers will have no IP address because they will not see the DHCP server and will not be able to talk to each other. Just make them unique from Location 1
    4. to test the Location 2 computers, ping 74.125.237.112 If successful the gateway is correct. Then ping www.google.com. If successful the DNS is also correct. You could also do a TRACERT www.google.com The first hop should be 10.1.1.1 which is your internet router/gateway. Because the TLWA5210G are in bridge mode, they will not show up in the TRACERT.
    5. You cannot enable WPA security because they are in Bridge mode. As you have entered the MAC addresses of each other, no-one else will be able to connect anyway. Only the valid MAC address devices will be able to connect so your security is good.
    6. to enable wireless access at Location 2 you will ned to tick "With AP Mode" in Wireless Mode Settings at Location 2 TLWA5210G . YOu may also need to add the MAC addresses of the wireless computers or you may now be able to setup WPA. I haven't seen the menu so am not sure.
    Please post back with your results. I am looking to implement my setup (down the main street of a country town) this week.
    David

Depending on if you only want wireless or Ethernet as well, -- Just completed a setup with a range extender - simple as pressing two buttons and its doubled the range, all you need is a power point to plug into. Even if you have to manually setup the extender its easy enough ( instructions are included) Doesn't matter what the IP address of the Router is, it automatically sets it up to the same.

Used One of These From netgear
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

I am also using TPLink modem+router. This is good products.

VoidMaster

wainuitech where can the WN3000RP be obtained and what price is it for retail consumer?
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche