Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Monitor turns on for a sec then turns off

Hey my LG W2252TQ monitor 3 years old turns on for a few secs then turns off.

You have to take out the power for 5mins and plug it back in to create the same thing.

What is wrong and is this easy to fix?

Its been like this for about 1-2months. At the start it was like a 90%-80%-70% etc success rate of it managing to stay on and slowly decline untill now where it hasnt managed to stay on after many attemps.
    Last edited by Blackandblue; 22-06-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Default Re: Monitor turns on for a sec then turns off

Sounds like the monitor is dying, if it has been slowly getting worse. If the cable to the pc is removable, try removing that and using another cable to connect it. I have had the odd monitor cable die on me, and they did slowly get worse, so that could be it.

Phone LG and mention CGA and most likely they will fix it under warranty. Talk to them nicely. I got mine fixed recently. But don't expect a quick fix; mine took almost a month to get fixed.

OK thanks, with out making another thread.

I tryed to hook up my TV as a monitor via computer VGA>TV VGA. I see the PC booting up and the resolution keeps changing automatically and I think a few green flashes but when it gets to the login screen for windows it doesnt show it and im left with a black screen.

Any suggestions?

In which case it is looking like the monitor may be fine. Could you try attaching the monitor to a different computer, preferably via a different cable to the one you use to hook it up to the pc?

yea but the monitor will turn on for a few seconds then turn off just with the power cord connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandblue View Post
    yea but the monitor will turn on for a few seconds then turn off just with the power cord connected.
    That will be due to no signal coming to it, so it goes into sleep mode. (I think)

na doesn't work, it would of normally said 'no signal' and the light normally would of gone from blue to orange.

Ok, Doesn't sound too good for the monitor then.

It's a dead common problem, most probably bad capacitors in the power circuit which fires up the cathode (lights like ultra thin fluro tubes) that run along the top and bottom edges of the screen.

Seen it many times with HP monitors at work. Having said that, the guts of most monitors all come from only a couple of different sources, so there's no one brand that is immune or prone to this issue.

Often if you study the blank screen closely you can see the very dim image of the desktop (or the Check Cable message if the comouter is off or disconnected).

Potentially repaired for $5 of parts if you have the mettle to DIY. On the other hand, you could wreck it instead. Your risk.

Still worth a few bucks on Trademe if others believe it can be fixed. I'd give you $5.