Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Zealands South Island has darkest Skies.

Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Default Re: New Zealands South Island has darkest Skies.

I live in the South Island an quite often look at the sky with the naked eye at night. We do have a lot of wide open spaces away from light pollution.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

The milky way can clearly be seen with the naked eye on a cloudless night in Golden bay

When we moved to our current house that was one the things that attracted us to the area! Lack of StreetLights, then some blardy genius in the council decided to upgrade the existing lights and the local resident do good club requested an additional 3 streetlights. Well they ended up with an extra 11 and only 1 of them has been put it the place it was asked for.

Objections raised no one but ourselves had the courage to put this to pen and paper and the excuse came back it complied with goverment subdivision planning codes! Actually that act applied to new subdivisons but no the council is always right. Of course our local community failed to observe this put up the rates and funny enough damge at the local school increased because of the increased streetlighting and shadows they create. No effect on burgeleries as lot of holiday homes and this activity was occuring during the day! Easier to spot a torch at night in the dark!

It is really good to read and see that light pollution is being taken seriously in the south island.

The sky is the same darkness, if you want to put it like that, everywhere.

They mean it is easier to see the stars cause there's less light pollution from cities there.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    The sky is the same darkness, if you want to put it like that, everywhere.

They mean it is easier to see the stars cause there's less light pollution from cities there.
    OK if you want to put it like that! Not just city light pollution means you dont see the stars so easily. The dork next door with the badly designed security light is just as guily as the local council night sky obscurring squad.

The sky was black with thunder and lightning last week here in Napier when SWMBO found I had bought a new camera !!!!!

A lot darker than any area in the South Island............ Did you notice that Trev... over Taradale way?

Ken

Not in dev/null yet ChazTheGeek's Avatar

Trev...are you a star gazer??
    ASUS P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500k 4.2GHz | Hyper 212 EVO | GTX 970OC | 500B SSD | 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue | | 16GB RAM | Corsair 400R | RM850

mikebartnz

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    and funny enough damge at the local school increased because of the increased streetlighting and shadows they create.
    I know a guy who had a car yard and when the lighting wasn't around for a few days he had less damage done which I thought interesting.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebartnz View Post
    I know a guy who had a car yard and when the lighting wasn't around for a few days he had less damage done which I thought interesting.
    I can not remember where I found it but when the CBD in Auckland had that dramatic power cut several years ago the crime rate and burgleries fell. But thats the stats the Police and goverment officials dont want you to know with the primevel belief that the hours of darkness are dangerous times of the day. The fact that during a full moon you dont really need streetlighting and thats alos the time that crime actually increases is ignored.