Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What's up with Gigabyte?

I am the opposite.
    After bad experiences with ASUS hardware I will only use Gigabyte now.
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

I have the GA-Z68XP-UD3, Rev 1.0, with i5-2500k, OC to 4.1GB. The MB is not giving any problems but originally there were errors here and there such as detecting imaginary devices and CPU fan not working (but otherwise it worked). The supplier replaced the board and everything came right (and I didn't re-install). I have the Intel 20 GB cache and therefore BIOS is set to RAID. Win7pro64
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k

Thanks to all who replied to my post. It seems my problem is not part of a plague that is killing motherboards throughout NZ, which is a bit suspicious. It is entirely possible that I am doing something stupid when I put my systems together, although I have lost count of the number of systems I have built that have run faultlessly for years.

Dugimodo comes close to what I am starting to think:

"After RMAing the motherboard and testing the RAM several times it did turn out to be faulty RAM, replacing it sorted it and it's been fine for about a year now (touch wood). From my experience and some of the forums I read I get the feeling these boards are a little finicky on RAM compatibility. I tested mine with the corsair vengeance kit when it got replaced and couldn't fault it but still went back to the G.skils ripjaws I'd got in the meantime out of paranoia (and because there was no advantage either way).

Given that you've experienced the exact same symptoms on 3 different boards I'd be inclined to start looking elsewhere. The odds of getting 3 boards in a row with the same fault would seem to be smaller than the odds of one of the other components you've used every time being either faulty or incompatible with the board in some small way."

The last comment had occurred to me, as well, except that by board No.3 all components that were plugged into it were different to board 1. Except the CPU, as Inphinity picked up. That's possible, but I am not entirely convinced. There may be something else going on.

This experience has made me sit back and rethink what I actually want from a PC. Today's high-end boards & CPUs are getting faster and pack more features into smaller volumes, so it is quite likely that getting different components working together requires critical tuning and some post-assembly tweaking. That is not my expertise, I don't like meddling with parameters I don't understand (especially when it costs money), so perhaps I should stay away entirely from there. I don't need to be at the cutting edge of PC technology, what I want is connectivity in terms of available USB ports and sufficient RAM to be able to use Lightroom to handle photography. It might be more sensible to move down-market and let the big boys play with the powerful stuff.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.

Ive seen people having boot loops online and a lot of them were RAM related, some needed bios updates or RAM RMA or event CPU replacement. Try update to latest bios first and if that doesn't do it I'd look at testing another chip as it seems your issue has appeared after a year of normal usage and now appears much faster even on new boards!
    Last edited by dinos22; 13-06-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    Ive seen people having boot loops online and a lot of them were RAM related, some needed bios updates or RAM RMA or event CPU replacement. Try update to latest bios first and if that doesn't do it I'd look at testing another chip as it seems your issue has appeared after a year of normal usage and now appears much faster even on new boards!
    Fair comment. The problem is that the system is in such a state that I can't even get into the BIOS. Whatever the actual cause of the problem is, it seems to clobber the BIOS - some people claim there is a bug in the Gigabyte Dual BIOS. I might try again soon. One of the 'black magic' cures I have read is to remove the motherboard battery and leave the system for a day or so. Apparently some people see a miraculous cure when they do this. Maybe it only works at Easter...

maybe the bios is corrupt also, try reflashing it as well, that could explain the Easter miracle you talk about