Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Unhappy Ray Bradbury Dies

LOS ANGELES - Ray Bradbury anticipated iPods, interactive television, electronic surveillance and live, sensational media events, including televised police pursuits - and not necessarily as good things.

The science fiction-fantasy master spent his life conjuring such visions from his childhood dreams and Cold War fears, spinning tales of telepathic Martians, lovesick sea monsters and, in uncanny detail, the high-tech, book-burning future of "Fahrenheit 451."

"I sometimes get up at night when I can't sleep and walk down into my library and open one of my books and read a paragraph and say: 'My God, did I write that? Did I write that?' Because it's still a surprise," Bradbury said in 2000.

Bradbury, who died Tuesday night at age 91, was slowed in recent years by a stroke that meant he had to use a wheelchair. But he remained active over the years, turning out new novels, plays, screenplays and a volume of poetry.

He wrote every day in the basement office of his home in Los Angeles.

His writings ranged from horror and mystery to humor and sympathetic stories about the Irish, blacks and Mexican-Americans. Bradbury also scripted John Huston's 1956 film version of "Moby Dick" and wrote for "The Twilight Zone" and other television programs, including "The Ray Bradbury Theater," for which he adapted dozens of his works.

Tributes from actors, directors and other celebrities poured in upon news of his death.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

Default Re: Ray Bradbury Dies

Bugger. I haven't read it myself but I know a bunch of highschool friends and teachers that were very very fond of his book.
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

Although not in this situation for me, I tend to find great authors and musicians AFTER they die.

I think I've read everything Bradbury, Asimov and Heinlein ever wrote however. I have a small SciFi library - most new stuff is in electronic form, but those few books are just special to me.

Ya know - 8ftmetalhaed --- I think you should also catch a few of Leon Uris's books too - especially Mila 18, which is so-o-o much better than Exodus. That --- and Germinal by Emil Zola.

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

i haven't read books in years. And even those in recent years it was required by school. Enjoyed them, but no motivation to seek out any reading for myself. Plus I have other things to read. Pony things. Don't ask.
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

Awww. That's sad. I can sit here at 66 years old and say I really regret NOT reading a few more books, although my schooling was full of them but under compulsion for the most part.

You're right though - modern life or should I say: 'modern survival' seems to take a lot of the waking hours from us all. Too bad sleep is mandatory - or I could get a lot more done during those off-times.

I still suggest (heartily, I might add) that everyone - yourself included - try to squeeze a few paragraphs into their schedule ever day. There is 'porcelain time' - right?

Great article about Ray Bradbury in the Guardian this morning: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...fi-author-dies

Books>Internet
    Books>gaming
    Books>TV

Heavy Metal>Books

Anyhow, 91 years old?

a good innings, Headline should have been Ray Bradbury managed to live to 91.....

I've read a few of his books, .....His writing didn't really grab me.
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Metla View Post
    Books>Internet
    Books>gaming
    Books>TV

Heavy Metal>Books

Anyhow, 91 years old?

a good innings, Headline should have been Ray Bradbury managed to live to 91.....

I've read a few of his books, .....His writing didn't really grab me.
    Did you ever watch the movie Fahrenheit 451? That was the title of a chapter out of Bradbury's book: 1984, which has passed by --- this being 2012.

A lot of his work has been on Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, The General Electric's Science Fiction Theater and others. So --- you may have seen some of his stuff not knowing the author.

The Years Best SF as an obituary listing every year. Way too many of my fav autors are dead:
    http://www.legacy.com/memorial-sites...beginswith=All

Bradbury, wasn't one of them, but known for being one of the famous firsts.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Did you ever watch the movie Fahrenheit 451? That was the title of a chapter out of Bradbury's book: 1984, which has passed by --- this being 2012.

A lot of his work has been on Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, The General Electric's Science Fiction Theater and others. So --- you may have seen some of his stuff not knowing the author.
    I'm very familiar with his body of work.
    better Dredd then dead