Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Migration of C:/

I am planning a build as my posts recently show.

I want to copy the C:/ from one SSD to another and I want to know if that will cause any problems
    Will deleting the old drivers and installing the new ones work without any issues?

Also I have 4 other harddrives (all of the 2TB) two of them have installations on them. will these just install back into the same places as they were in the old computer and just work from the new C:/ drive without issue?

I have expanded this build from a upgrade to building a entirely new machine but I want it to go smoothly.
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

Pretends to know things

Default Re: Migration of C:/

Personally I'd use a program to duplicate your original c drive onto your new ssd. That way registry and what not will be left intact keeping your installs from your other drive working (assuming the motherboard doesn't hate). The only problem is if you change your motherboard you really want to be doing a fresh install of windows.

Yeah I know a fresh install would be a lot better but there is a issue with that.
    I have 2x 2TB drives
    1 of them is for Applications (nothing is installed to C:/) so everything goes here, there is over 1.5TB of installed programmes
    The other is for Games, and there is about 1.2TB of Games installed with mods, updates, patches and expansions.

It would take days to replace all that if I could find most of it again because if I replace windows I need to reinstall every other thing from every other drive.

That is a big hurdle I am trying really hard to avoid.

I used Paragons Migrate OS to SSD with success.

http://www.paragon-software.com/tech...ate-OS-to-SSD/
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

That looks pretty good Bobh, cheap too.

DeSade, You could use sysprep to prepare the hard drive for migration, that will generalise the settings of Windows 7 for new PC, clone to new SSD, boot up and W7 will install what drivers it can and ask you to re-activate...all good, very easy!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Sysprep, is this software?
    Do you have a link?

Sysprep is built into windows, its located in the C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep folder.

Its not just a case of running it though. There are actually two options in sysprep, OOBE or Audit mode you have to select one, other wise it wont work,as well as generalise. Theres a few steps when doing that, but it generally works.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 05-06-2012 at 11:38 AM.

SYSprep, generalise, OOBE..., clone and start on new pc or whatever......done!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    SYSprep, generalise, OOBE..., clone and start on new pc or whatever......done!
    Theres actually a couple of things missing from the instructions.
    It pays to run sysprep as administrator, less chance of it failing, you will also have to when using OOBE re-enter in your product key, you have to also enter a different user name when its comes to creating an account name, if you try to use the same one it will error saying already exists and wont let you carry on. Thats easy though, simply make a temp account, call it what ever you want, then when the PC bootsselect your original account then you can remove the temp account and be left with the original one and all the files etc.

Sysprep is meant to be used to create a image of a machine, software included, once finished sysprep run and you would boot into audit mode first, which is actually the admin account, remove the original account used to create the setup, then reboot and select OOBE/Generalise/shutdown,an image made, then that image is laid onto a different machine and when its first booted hardware picked up, and a new user account is created. This is basically how the name brand manufactures do it, HP, Dell etc.