Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Cool At My Lattitude ------------------

---- and with Summer about to fully commence, the days are indeed getting longer and longer, daylight-wise that is. I have been told that one can work in their garden until they drop at 11PM since the sun won't go down until very late in the day.

I can see that the days are indeed very long now, so imagining the length of the longest day is going to be nice to actually behold. But that leaves me with a question.

If we take HIGH NOON as the touchstone here, is the increase in day lit time more or less divided unequally as far as sunrise verses sunset?

Taking into account the slant of the earth and that we are at 46.256º North Latitude, is there some sort of wobble-factor that puts increasingly more seconds/minutes before or after 12 noon?

I suspect that the earth's slant makes it possible to have sunset happen later in relation to sunrise until the season changes and it swings the other way once the Summer Solstice takes over and then sunrise takes the lead in lengthening itself more than sunset.

Does that make sense? We're not quite in The Land Of The Midnight Sun, but this is a new experience for me here.

I should start a graphic with Sunrise-Sunset times on it and chart it out for myself. I suspect there will be some sort of SINE WAVE pattern that will emerge, although lopsided as the seasons change.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Default Re: At My Lattitude ------------------

You're at roughly the same latitude north as Dunedin, NZ is south. I think that when the Sun is at it's highest point, apogee?, the sunset and sunrise are at equal times from that point. Depends if the Sun is highest at noon or some other time.
    Was working in Oamaru 10 years ago and the Sun didn't rise till 8 am and set at 5-00 pm
    Amnesia International, remembering for those that can't.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Have a look here SJ ... we're at 45°52'27.02"S - 170°30'12.97" in Dunedin.

They probably have a graph for you as well ... but I haven't had a look for it.

More importantly, do you see the same side of the sun that we see?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    More importantly, do you see the same side of the sun that we see?
    Yeah --- we do! I was having troubles viewing it Sunday 'cause the moon was in the way though. Sumpthin' about an annular occlusion or somesuch.

About the sunrise-sunset - I think the graph would be lobular and not proportionately equal on each side of NOON. I'll try to make a drawing to 'splain what I mean.

I think daylight savings messes up noon a bit (or by an hour strangely ), do you have that in your neck of the woods?
    But other than that I'm pretty sure days lengthen in both directions in summer.

NZ is fairly south so our days vary in length quite a bit between summer and winter, and because it's a long narrow country Hamilton where I am has an hour or so less sunlight mid summer than somewhere like Invercargill at the bottom of the south Island. I remember as a small child having to go to bed at 9PM and watching my older siblings still playing outside in the daylight through my window and feeling left out.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I think I know what you're meaning SJ ... ours would vary by an hour when daylight saving comes into play ... don't know whether you have that over there or not.
    We lengthen our days by an hour during summer so that we can enjoy more of the day after work ... and not get woken up by full sun at 4am ...
    Last edited by SP8's; 23-05-2012 at 09:44 AM.

This 'chart'-depiction by me might make my thought clearer - maybe.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s...I/s640/Top.jpg

Noon (High Noon) only applies at the equator does it not.

North or south of the equator the mornings or afternoons (am's and pm's) are longer.

Yep ... when we were living in PNG we were around 4 deg south of the equator ... 6am sunrise - 6pm sunset ... all year round.