Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Plasma or LCD TV?

I always thought LCD was the way to go.
    Plasma having problems with ghosting and
    higher power usage supposibly. But have been hearing
    opinions of plasma having better definition.
    I would be interested in members opinions.

Default Re: Plasma or LCD TV?

Plasma have improved over the years but also have LCDs. The latest LCDs are what they call LEDs where the back lite users LEDs. These TVs are really thin. One of the things I don't like about Plasmas is that the screen is very shiny and reflections become a problem. I won't recommend anyone as everyone has there own differant opinions about them. Best to go into a shop and decide for yourself. I have a 4 year old 40" Sony Bravia which I am very happy with.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Ive got a 50" Plasma and a 55" LCD.

Both are awesome.

Anyone that could look at either and say thy weren't would be a knob end.
    better Dredd then dead

I also have had a 40" Sony Bravia for 4 years which I am happy with.
    Because technology is always improving I was just interested in the
    latest thoughts. I have to say there is nothing like viewing the screen
    in your own home. Quite often when viewing TV's in a show room there is
    quite a difference in the picture quality of the same standard spec TV.

Plasma is actually the superior technology in many ways, many of the improvements in LCDs have been to overcome problems that plasmas never had in the first place. These days though both technologies have advanced to the point where it's more a matter of preference rather than which is better, as Metla pointed out both look awesome.

Some pros and cons;
    Plasma -
    bright rich colours, deep natural blacks
    No stuttering with fast moving or panning scenes like cheaper LCDs suffer from (the reason for things like motionflow technology)
    great for Movies/ TV/ Sports
    Glass screen can be more durable and easier to clean but is also reflective and will show up light sources

LCD
    Tends to look better when used as a PC monitor (personal opinion here)
    Generally thinner, lighter and use less power
    Plastic screens tend to be non reflective and better in bright rooms with lots of ambient light (some have a shiny glass cover that negates this one)
    Usually more expensive in large sizes
    Need a backlight so always emit some light when on and have trouble dispaying a true black

LCDs are more popular and manufacturers are starting to abandon plasma, but not because it's the worse technology.
    The short answer is buy the one that looks good to you, has the features you want, and has an acceptable price. Don't worry about the LCD vs plasma debate, it's not important.

A final point, ignore any talk of burn in. It's so unlikely it really doesn't come into it. If you plan on leaving one static image up on your screen 24 hours a day for months then it could be an issue.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Have to agree with dugimodo when he says - manufacturers are starting to abandon plasma, but not because it's the worse technology.

Can't remember whether I read it somewhere or whether it was on TV, but I think Samsung and/or Panasonic are almost at the point where they are going to stop producing plasma screens.

Personally, I have had a 50" Samsung Plasma for about 4 years and can't find much fault with it ... except that it cost 3 or 4 times as much back then as they do now.

Go into a shop, make sure they show the same channel and compare them side by side. Choose 1)Reliable 2)The one that looks good to you
    wipe your paws.

I like led's, but it comes down to personal preference. led's and plasmas are both pretty good.

Pretends to know things

+1 Dugimodo

Ignore any talk of burn on plasma's. That problem was fixed along time ago, to get burn on a new plasma these days you have to leave it on for a really long time on the same image, probably long enough to kill any kind of tv.

Quote Originally Posted by SP8's View Post
    Have to agree with dugimodo when he says - manufacturers are starting to abandon plasma, but not because it's the worse technology.

Can't remember whether I read it somewhere or whether it was on TV, but I think Samsung and/or Panasonic are almost at the point where they are going to stop producing plasma screens.

Personally, I have had a 50" Samsung Plasma for about 4 years and can't find much fault with it ... except that it cost 3 or 4 times as much back then as they do now.
    Shrinking plasma demand
    Like domestic rivals Sony and Sharp, Panasonic's TV business has been hammered by competition from Korea's Samsung Electronics and shrinking demand for its large plasma sets.

Kazuhiro Tsuga, 55, currently in charge of revamping the TV business, takes over as president of Panasonic from Ohtsubo.

By 2015, research company DisplaySearch estimates demand for plasma sets will shrink 38 percent to $7 billion.

Panasonic expects that a fresh round of restructuring that cut 17,000 jobs will lead the TV unit back to profit and spur a V-shaped recovery in the current year.
    http://goo.gl/nG0vg
    WARNING
    CONTENT OF THIS POST MAY OFFEND
    VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.