Default Linux Installation

I have a Seagate 17.2 HDD that I have partitioned and formatted into 5 seperate drives,(cdefg). I have set aside drive E (2.9Gb) to be used for Linux when I had saved enough dosh. I have now purchased Red Hat Linux 7.2 and tried to install but do not know how to point the installer to drive E, also do I have to unformat drive E.
    John

Default Re: Linux Installation

Simplest way is to use FDISK from DOS to delete your drive E; Linux will see the space and do its things for you. But
    I have a nasty suspicion that E: could be a 'logical' drive, and that might not work. How did you partition that drive? (do a FDISK /STATUS from DOS)

Linux will actually want two partitions - one for the main system and one for the swap space (although it is often advisable to have more than two).

Linux does not use drive letters as DOS (and presumably) Windows do. In all likelyhood, the notation will be as follows:
    Drive A = /dev/hda1
    Drive B = /dev/hda2
    Drive C = /dev/hda3
    Drive D = /dev/hda4
    Drive E = /dev/hda5
    Floppy = /dev/fd0
    CD-ROM = /dev/cdrom

When installing Red Hat you will get to the partitioning section and if you use Disk Druid your drive E: if you created an extended partition will be hda4. Drive c: willbe hda1. You will probably have to delete the E: partition and create a swap partition (about 350mgs) and a root (/) using the remainder.

Thanks for replies. I have deleted Drive E using fdisk (yes it was a logical drive) and have completed installation. Unfortunately I did not make a note of the root password which I have forgotten and cannot run the program. The installation guide is not very clear and I would appreciate help to either recover or replace this password.