Gone

Default Vista to Windows 7 transfer

In a couple of days, I will be replacing the Vista on the main PC in the house with Windows 7 Home Premium. Currently installed is McAfee virus software. And also installed is that Windows mail that comes with Vista.

For the Virus protection, I am thinking MSE and for the email client thunderbird. It there way to transfer all of the Xtra emails from Windows Mail in Vista to Thunderbird?

Also is it possible to transfer all docs and pictures from Vista to the Windows 7 install?

Default Re: Vista to Windows 7 transfer

Quote Originally Posted by QW. View Post
    In a couple of days, I will be replacing the Vista on the main PC in the house with Windows 7 Home Premium. Currently installed is McAfee virus software. And also installed is that Windows mail that comes with Vista.

For the Virus protection, I am thinking MSE and for the email client thunderbird. It there way to transfer all of the Xtra emails from Windows Mail in Vista to Thunderbird?

Also is it possible to transfer all docs and pictures from Vista to the Windows 7 install?
    MSE will be fine.
    If I was you, I would install thunderbird on your vista computer import/transfer all your contacts, mail etc into it (and see if you really like it), if you like it, you should easily be able to export the data files to your new computer and import them.
    To transfer docs, pictures, music etc from your old to the new, get a USB drive and use the good old "copy and paste" method

Select file / export in windows mail. And select messages. See if that works. Dont know what options TB has got tho. Just copy the docs / pics to a flash drive. Then copy them across. Forget about copying programs. You'll have to reinstall them

Gone

I have tried Thunderbird and like what I have seen. Looks like it will be easy enough to get all the docs from the Vista PC to the Win 7 machine.

Sweet. You will like the move from Vista to Win7, you will find out how Vista SHOULD have been

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Iantech View Post
    Sweet. You will like the move from Vista to Win7, you will find out how Vista SHOULD have been
    I have windows 7 on my laptop. Like it much better than Wind Xp and Vista.

The only thing that will be a worry is getting the emails from Windows Mail in Vista to Thunderbird.

Gone

Is there anything else other than MSE, CCleaner and Malwarebytes that need to be installed?

Windows Easy Transfer is a great application - connect both computers to the network & let it do its thing.

I think the easiest way to import from Windows Mail to Thunderbird is still find the EML files & drag & drop into thunderbird. The eml files should be stored in users\username\appdata\local\microsoft\windows mail
    For contacts, you will need to export to CSV from inside Windows Mail
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
    Enermax Tomahawk II 500W PSU
    Antec 300 case
    Win7 Pro (Action Pack :D)

surprisingly quick even without an SSD

Gone

So it transferring all the emails should be easy. I know how to export the contacts though.