Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lenovo laptops

Pretends to know things

Default Re: lenovo laptops

The problem is in the past the HP consumer range hasn't been of the greatest quality. I have a macbook from 2007, we also have a HP Pav. from 2010. My Macbook looks like it did when I got it (only slightly dirtier) and the HP is literally falling apart. Might pay to look at one to see what the build quality is like.

The HP Pavilion g6 is, above all things, totally average. It's definitely not a performance machine, or a sexy piece of art, but if you're just looking for a decent laptop for Web surfing, word processing, and lightweight photo editing, it's a pretty good deal. The only real drawback I see is battery life--HP says you'll get 5.5 hours, but we managed to get only 4 usable hours out of the g6's battery in our testing.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/l...#ixzz1t001DoRB
    Seems a bit harsh. Only 6/10 and the only thing the could say was really wrong was the battery life. Whereas Asus (from memory) hasn't really ever been extremely unreliable. Nothing wrong with buy HP as long as you check out the model you're looking at extensively whereas Asus I'd feel much more comfortable going into a shop buying and leaving without doing much research (not that I'd ever recommend doing that ).

You can get a good quality HP laptop for not much more than the G6. http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKHNB1730505
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
    Enermax Tomahawk II 500W PSU
    Antec 300 case
    Win7 Pro (Action Pack :D)

surprisingly quick even without an SSD

32bit windows on that one Greven
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

oh wait, 64 bit media included
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Pretends to know things

Yeah windows 7 keys go for both 32 and 64 bit. So even if you dont get the disk you can just download an iso or something.

What are you going top be using the thing for?

If business and you want something solid, then a Thinkpad or an HP Probook. Both solid, both durable. I have a Probook 17.3" i7, a bit heavy on the gas if you run it with the Radeon graphics on, rather than the onboard Intel chip, but otherwise not bad, and all that brushed alloy means you wouldn't want to be hauling it around classes or lectures all day without the assistance of a good coolie.

HP... hmm quality can be a bit iffy, have used 3x in the past. The newer ones are better but I recon it will take another generation or even two to get them proper.

tbh, the only thing going for a macbook is the build quality. Other than that the price is just too high to justify it. OSX is nice enough but the specs, support and price dont add up
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Pretends to know things

Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    HP... hmm quality can be a bit iffy, have used 3x in the past. The newer ones are better but I recon it will take another generation or even two to get them proper.

tbh, the only thing going for a macbook is the build quality. Other than that the price is just too high to justify it. OSX is nice enough but the specs, support and price dont add up
    Probably part of the reason they dont sell them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post

Absolutely nothing wrong with the build quality on my HP Probook, it's sold, mainly metal, everything fits nicely and it hasn't fallen to bits as yet. Are you talking about HP Pavillions, which a different kettle of fish entirely?

Pretends to know things

Pro Books are ok. Pavillions are real trash though.