Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: lenovo laptops

Default lenovo laptops

many people use their laptops??

been told to consider buying one to replace my current hp laptop as they're supposed to be better(?) than asus

thoughts??

thanks
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Default Re: lenovo laptops

The ThinkPads are pretty solid, they are their business line (to be fair the HP business line is very good too) Not sure about ThinkPad Edge or below, they are probably a bit too new to get a good feel for.

here's the site and there range, maybe something from the L series or the T series
    http://shopap.lenovo.com/nz/en/noteb...dwnstr|brand|1
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Wanderer

I would think the Thinkpad Edge is just a diff model but still the same solidness of the Thinkpad family. Lenovo also has the IdeaPAD which might be the consumer range.

This is my 4th Thinkpad all used. They are solid. Titianium or carbon fibre top LCD cover.
    Pretty boring business looking though and maybe less on the horsepower.

But Thinkpads have come down a lot in prices, even at the NZ Lenovo site, at times cheaper than Ascent. Many models have international warranty and they do 24hr delivery of replacement parts which I have used their services.

ASUS me think is less corporate like, newer maybe in the laptop business but more bang for dollar nad more spec'ed.

Edit. Downstairs here, still using a Thinkpad X20 that I bought used in the year end of 2000 (1yr used). Now running XP as a print server. Some buttons fell off, LCD not work, ethernet cable to PCB came off when I was playing with it ... but everything else works like with the PCMCIA Wifi card and all ..... And I got a X61T which I am typing on now. Was ued bought 2 year so 2010 mid-year which I think it was 3 or 4yr used.
    Last edited by Nomad; 23-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Pretends to know things

As mentioned before I have a ThinkPad Edge 520 in my house (not mine but used various times and picked it out myself when purchased). Only complaint is the size, kind of bulky when compared to other 15.6" laptops. Nothing else to report. Battery life is good, not really tested. I know you can get a 9 cell battery if needed . Also worth noting that the trackpad mouse button is like a soft touch thingy so its more like a keypress than a mouse click which I personally like, has a trackpad and also a mouseball thingy in between h and g keys iirc. Performance is good. Fast sleep/wake times and good boot times. Haven't tried the speakers. CD drive does vibrate a fair bit when in heavy use though.

PS: You can upgrade to onsite next day warranty/repair for $60 more which might be a better idea than having to send the laptop to lenovo. Faster too (probably).
    Last edited by icow; 23-04-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Wanderer

You should do an Internet search. Like any brand there will be models where due to that CPU in question it was a bit rather hot on the lap, or that the Wifi card inside was rather hot etc ...

In the past have used v high quality stuff like Intel/3Com LAN cards. These days they are using more Atheros and SoundMax parts (on mine at least). It is a Dual Core 1.8 or something.

This one here has been dropped so there is a hole on the side of the screen near the corner with a crack but it functions perfectly incl the LCD. The lid does close and it does latch with a slight curved out bump.

Re: my end of 2000 Thinkpad X20 which was 1yr used at the time. I still have the battery. It gets a 100% charge. I have not used hte battery much, been on shelf but yeah ... still geta a 100% charge. Li-on it is.

Dunno about the L series but T series is v good. The most popular and one of the pricier one?
    Has optical drive .. quite compact, don't expect to play games on it.
    V popular or wanted by the white collar worker.
    I have always used the X series.
    Last edited by Nomad; 23-04-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Lenovo have some good solid laptops, but their cheap laptops are still cheap crap. I have found the HP probook range to be just as good as the decent Lenovos & they are a lot easier to get parts for.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
    Enermax Tomahawk II 500W PSU
    Antec 300 case
    Win7 Pro (Action Pack :D)

surprisingly quick even without an SSD

Their after sales service is appalling. The worst experience Ive had.
    5 days to sort out a waranty on a brand new PC, literally just out of the box. Pretty bad since it had a next
    day onsite warranty....or thats what they tell us
    The hardware is good, but personally I wouldnt touch them again.
    Once bitten....
    Im now back to selling HP & Toshiba .

interesting 1101

i wouldn't go near Toshiba though

Toshibas are absolutely OK. We've been selling them for 12+ + years . One dud lappy does not make the whole brand BAD.
    In general, any of the main brands are absolutely fine. We've sold all brands of lappies, they are more or less
    the same in the long run, with some specific exceptions .

In general
    All brands sold a few dud models.
    Buy cheap , get a cheapy
    Get whatever Brand has the best deal at the mo.
    Get a brand with good after sales service

Your are looking at a name 'sticker' on the top of the case. Thats it.
    Often, all the parts are made by other companies .
    Last edited by 1101; 24-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.