Default Connect a Brother MFC-J430W - issues

Went to connect a MFC-J430W for a client, joins wireless fine, shows to be connected and Thomson Modem shows it is and has an IP address. New Win 7 laptop cannot connect to it. The Brother software cannot find it and I cannot ping it. I have disabled anti virus and firewall with no luck.

I have manually setup the printer config and used the Brother setup using the USB cable with same result.

When I go back onsite will take another laptop to test if it is a laptop or printer issue.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with these printers?

It has an IP address using DHCP and I have also set the same IP as static.

Just thought - would the firewall on the Thomson have an impact on local traffic?

This is basic networking and should just work but isn't!!

Ideas?

Default Re: Connect a Brother MFC-J430W - issues

Did you share it?? It doesnt sound like you have. If nothing can find it

If its connecting Via wireless or ethernet cable then the firewall can sometimes cause a problem. The IP address may not be in the range of allowable address's on the router if they are set. Generally I set the firewalls to allow 1-255, that way it will allow everything through on the LAN.

When you tested it with a USB cable, did it go through the procedure of "Found new Hardware" If not then theres certainly something wrong as it should detect it.

My Brother laser,doesn't actually use the standard IP configuration name that they used to, it uses its own software to setup the name and IP address.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Those machines dont agree with those Thomsons. Just replaced a friends Thomson with a Draytek DV2750n and the same model printer. Swapped out the router and it picked it up right away.

No need to share, it's a wifi printer that you access directly.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Thanks for the replies.

I have yet to go back onsite but I suspect it is the Thomson. I will disable the firewall on the Thomson but I would have thought it would allow local traffic. I will check the IP range the firewall allows but expected this to be within the same range as DHCP is supplying.

The brother software just scans the network for the printer and can’t find it, what I would expect if I can’t ping it. It normally uses the Host name so if the IP changes it can find the printer. I’ll give the printer a static IP outside the DHCP scope and try again if the above doesn’t work.

When using the USB cable for configuring the wireless it doesn’t “Find” the printer as if you are configuring for USB use. This is because it is not setting up the PC for USB connection, just to configure the wireless on the printer.

I have had to manually configure a Thomson and printer to find a wired printer before.

Thomson modems are crap when it needs extra configuration.

This is an old issue but thought I should report the result.

When back onsite I configured a static IP address before enabling the wireless connection. Once connected via wireless all worked as it should.

I have had the issue before where a Thomson will pickup the host name and seems to get stuck to the Mac address regardless of what manual settings are configured.

Since it was a while before I got back onsite DHCP had released the IP address/host name and everything worked as it should