Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New glasses

Default New glasses

This may not be a big issue for those under 40, but it sure is to people over that age . I picked up my new state of the art prescription three stage progressive lens glasses today. I was told to get used to them over the next two weeks. I have been wearing them as much as I can , but am soooo tempted to give them away and use "my old faithful ones!" Anyone else have the same problem?

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

Default Re: New glasses

Not yet, I'm about to hit 45 this year and having had an eye test at Christmas I have been given the all clear to not need glasses for another year at least maybe two if I'm lucky

I have progressive lens and they do take some getting used to. The first thing that I noticed was that the bottom shelves in the supermarket were out of focus. You soon learn to look directly at the object by bowing your head a bit more. Not a problem now that I am used to them.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

I spend my days selling the things! And wear them too.

There's a definite learning curve to them, and the adaptation cycle is more challenging if you've never worn them before, and if you've put off getting them for too long (ie are in your mid 50s instead of mid 40s).

As already said by Bob, they take some getting used to, but once you've got used to them they're simple to use, and very, very convenient, and far superior to the on/off wear of 'single vision' lenses.

The cheapie progressives are reportedly tougher to use with regard to narrower reading channels and off-axis distortions (a necessary side effect of how they work without having a line through them). The dearer ones are reported to give wider useful channels, and push the distortions further away from the line of sight.

Our own in-practice experience is that for some people however the very top of the range is sometimes inferior to the next step down the rung in terms of lens technology and adaptation.

I will certainly not claim that what I've been told is fact, but what has been suggested is that the SpecSavers models use tech thats now 10 years out of date. I'm very reluctant to take that as fact, coz frankly I don't trust any of these major multinational companies to play fair with the facts regarding each others products.

From my own experience using them, if you're actually scrutinising your vision for clarity and physically searching for a clear spot you'll not be happy. They actually work best if you put all that totally out of your mind and just get on with things, and then they just work a treat.

The lens surfaces are very complex, and are designed on super computers!

If you're struggling still after a couple of weeks go back and get things checked. There's lots of ways things can get out of kilter, and a tiny 1mm adjustment can make a world of difference to your experience with them! Don't fiddle with the nose pad-arms or the temples yourself. Get those adjustments done in-store.

I have two sets of glasses. One pair for distance and another bifocal pair for reading and on the computer. Could of gone the 3 stage progressive way but this was the cheaper option, not by much though.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Be careful on stairs!
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

I've had progressives for years and adapted to them no problem, but over time I've had two crook pairs that were either incorrectly made or the Optician didn't position his gear right. I lived with the first pair until I needed a new prescription because they were not too bad, and the next pair were great, but the new lenses I had fitted to those frames several weeks ago had the close-up gradient different for each eye, so for a fixed head position I could read clearly with one eye but not the other. Lifting or lowering my head swapped the sweet spot from eye to eye, so I went back a couple of weeks ago to demonstrate the problem.

The woman who saw me (not the optometrist) tried to tell me she could fix it by adjusting the frames. Yeah right! Bend the metal frames to shift the lense and leave me lopsided? Fortunately the optometrist intervened and I go back tomorrow to get a new set of lenses installed. We'll see how they work!

From my laypersons' perspective the most important thing seems to be the size (height) of the lense, and if you chose the smaller sizes there is less lense to provide the vertical range, so head movement is more critical. That can lead to a bad experience, but with larger lenses the problem is reduced significantly.

Before departing with your new glasses it is important that the optometrist checks that they are correct. With my recent faulty pair the lenses were fitted in the shop area, they did some fancy checks with hi-tech gear that did not ask my opinion on what I was seeing, then waved me out the door.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Last edited by Billy T; 12-04-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    Be careful on stairs!
    I found stairs were a problem to start with. I soon learned to adapt to this and look down at them.

Military training taught me to always look up and straight ahead and we were not allowed to look on the ground for sixpences. This was the Regimental Sergeant Major's job or so he told us. All this training had to be undone when I started wearing progressive lens. Anyway I no longer have a grumpy RSM telling me to keep my head up.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

Re Member

I remember my first day with my first pair after having straight lenses for years. Had to use a high ladder in a workshop.Alright going up,when I started down I couldn't see properly.Great fright! But I got used to them.Now a few years on I wear my second best for work because they have a scratch and keep my new ones for the weekends.So I'm still adjusting to the new ones 2 years on!
    For closeup work I look over the top!Can't work with my head tilted back,painful.But who wants to know all that.

Well considering my wife just stuffed her toe under the bed and fell over the middle wheel maybe she needs new ones