Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swapping ISPs

Wanderer

Default Swapping ISPs

My contract ends 6 May, then I give a months notice the last day is 9 June.

I want to go to another ISP. What day can the new ISP connect at? If they connect at 10 June for example will the prev ISP bill me for another month even for the 1 day .....

Going from Orcon so they cannot just keep the phone and don't have the Internet, it's all or nothing.

Default Re: Swapping ISPs

I was going to say Telecom but it seems that by the time you change over, you wont receive the double broadband thing they're doing (May Billing).

Look around for plans that suit what you use the Internet for.

However, why do you want to switch ISP anyway?
    There is no keyboard connected to this computer. Press any key to continue.

It should be possible to get the new account to start the same day as the old one finishes

Quote Originally Posted by EmoCat View Post
    I was going to say Telecom but it seems that by the time you change over, you wont receive the double broadband thing they're doing (May Billing).

Look around for plans that suit what you use the Internet for.

However, why do you want to switch ISP anyway?
    ????

The extra GBs announced isn't just for current customers. If Nomad happens to select Telecom as his ISP of choice with a BB plan suited to his needs, he will get whatever the cap happens to be for that plan...

Can't comment on the connection gap/overlap issue though... I imagine that would depend on the provisioning workload of whatever ISP you finally choose...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

TelstraClear looks the best deal around at the moment I would say.
    Almost makes me think about changing myself, even tho I have no real reason to!
    But at $75 a month for phone and 40 gig a month, a free wireless modem, and the first 2 months FREE it seems the best deal that's been around for a long time

The only 'catch' if you consider it as such, is that after 12 months, you will pay $105 a month (the 40 gig cost, which is not charged for the first 12 months)

http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/sub-si...deal/index.cfm

Oh - and when you change, usualy your new isp will take care of all the change-over and billing cycle etc... should be virtualy un-noticable by you if they are half decent
    Last edited by bevy121; 12-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Wanderer

I guess with ISPs you can book earlier for a future date transfer but Telecom works out more expensive for us, we use about 30GB per month. So looking at going to Telstraclear for $75

Orcon - right now, I have their special offer that I signed a 12 month contract, 30GB for $80 (with phone), when the contract ends I still get the same package price but Telstraclear is cheaper and 10GB more, plus 2 free months and a free (additional spare) modem.

Been on the phone with Orcon again. Its that - contract ends 6 May, give 1 months notice so my Internet will go 6 June. Telstraclear just need to connect a few days prior or/by 6 June. Just don't want to loose the phone connection b/c of retaining the number and the reconnection charge.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by bevy121 View Post

The only 'catch' if you consider it as such, is that after 12 months, you will pay $105 a month (the 40 gig cost, which is not charged for the first 12 months)

http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/sub-si...deal/index.cfm
    I wonder if they would let you be on the same price plan after the contract ends
    I know Orcon does. But they are $80 for 30GB that I signed up 11 months ago......

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

My parents are on that Best Deal Ever thing with Orcon too, its expiring this month.

You can give them notice that you want it to expire on the 6th of May, but you can still have your internet connected with TelstraClear on the 5th for example, as you've still paid that month up. Because Orcon have their own kit, there may be delays and things with the migration, for example they may have to shift you to a Telecom Wholesale port first prior to being able to churn you, otherwise it would be a cancellation then subsequent new signup.

I'd personally ring up Telstraclear *now* and start making arrangements
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Wanderer

Thanks

Contract expires 6 May - yes but you can only give the 30 days notice once you are out of the contract so the earliest to exit Orcon is 6 June.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

No you can give notice and move away, you just still have to pay out that whole month that's all. Hypothetically if you gave notice today, you've already been billed for May, so it doesn't really matter if you do / don't use the whole month. I'd strongly suggest you contact your new ISP to get the ball rolling, that's all, as Orcon has their kit in a lot of exchanges it can make things a little more difficult migrating away from them to something like Telecom Wholesale (Or Telstraclear).
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro