Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default scam banking email & non response from the bank

Hi all.
    We are probably all aware of the recent news stories with eftpos card skimming & bank a/c's being raided.
    Well I got a email yesterday saying there was an issue with my bank a/c & I need to click on the link to sort it out
    I smelt a rat, but It looked very legit except the (hidden) www address in the actual link

So I went to the banks website , very little info showing what these email scams look like, or examples warning about the latest scams
    I forwarded the email to them(to their security response email address), asking if its legit, assuming they would want to have the bogus website blocked or taken down.
    Not any sort of response from the N****** bank. Nothing, not even a automated reply.

Really poor on their part, there would many easily tricked by this sort of thing , it was a legit looking scam.
    I would have at least expected a reply to my email saying 'yes this is a scam, delete that email' , or at least a response acknowledging the email I sent them.

Just a rant about poor security response from one bank.
    And they should have some better, easier to find scam info on their website, for those not computer savvy.
    Last edited by 1101; 11-04-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Default Re: scam banking email & non response from the bank

I've heard of this through a friend. They recently lost $1200 because of the lack of information sent out.
    There is no keyboard connected to this computer. Press any key to continue.

ASB have a glitch at the moment and so does BNZ payments into accounts with them are not going through, they know about it but didn't inform anyone. I only found out when I asked my ACC case manager why we hadn't been paid today

IT Contractor

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    ASB have a glitch at the moment and so does BNZ payments into accounts with them are not going through, they know about it but didn't inform anyone. I only found out when I asked my ACC case manager why we hadn't been paid today
    I've receieved payments successfully to both ASB and BNZ accounts within the past 24 hours. Maybe it's an issue with wherever your payment was coming from, rather than going to?
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Could be yet I have a trademe payment that the person promised was paid last night around 4.30 that isn't showing either, unless it just the local Nelson branches, maybe the stagecoach got hijacked by Apaches again

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Hi all.

Well I got a email yesterday saying there was an issue with my bank a/c & I need to click on the link to sort it out

So I went to the banks website , very little info showing what these email scams look like, or examples warning about the latest scams
    I forwarded the email to them(to their security response email address), asking if its legit, assuming they would want to have the bogus website blocked or taken down.
    Oh come on, they've been around for ages, even the news media bang on about it these days.
    You can tell because:
    A)Banks dont send you emails like that.
    B)You hover over the link, you can see it's not the banks site.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    It's a known issue with Westpac - outgoing transfers from Westpac accounts didn't go through last night.

There's an article on Stuff about it, although it's rather light on detail.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Both payments I was expecting this morning have just come through now so it must be fixed

I hope my payments to Nigeria have gone through, I am counting on that to finally clear the funds I am being sent.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    I hope my payments to Nigeria have gone through, I am counting on that to finally clear the funds I am being sent.
    Still waiting on my $2,000,000 USD that im supposed to get from a Mexican that somehow knows where I live, and will visit me within the next week.
    CANT WAIT!
    There is no keyboard connected to this computer. Press any key to continue.