Default Question about LightScribe and designing own templates for CD/DVD LS media

Hi all...

Right now I'm totally fed up with printer manufacturers (specifically Canon) and their cheap-and-nasty throw-away printers and tricky-dicky rip-off ink prices. No doubt I'm not the only one. I want to stop buying into their game and would like to find an alternative way to produce attractive low run CDs/DVDs.

So far I've been using inkjet printers to print directly on the white media. The results look great but not worth the expense and frustration of INK when stuff goes wrong!

I'm looking at LightScribe to burn my design directly to LightScribe disks. Sure, I'll lose the impact of colour and it would be slower per disk but what the hell.

Does anyone here have experience with using LightScribe? How easy would it be to produce my own LightScribe template designs and burn them.

Feedback much appreciated.
    FrogMan: half frog, half man; but which half?

Default Re: Question about LightScribe and designing own templates for CD/DVD LS media

Shouldnt be that hard. Just use a program and make sure whatever you do fits in the circle. I think cdburnerxp has a program in it for lightscribe. You just have to install this to get the option

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

Default Re: Question about LightScribe and designing own templates for CD/DVD LS media

I'm not sure about producing your own designs but there are plenty of free designs.

I use lightscribe on a regular basis.

I use my current Canon printer and so far 2 years it's had no problems, used the previous Canon too for over 5 years, I buy my ink online from Computer food as it is half the price of Canon ink and never had any issues. I only replaced the last printer because after more than 5 years the power pack died and it was cheaper to get a new printer.

For the few I do each year maybe 10-15 discs it's very cost effective and the results look so much better than Litescribe

Cool, thanks for your replies guys!

Speedy G - you're right. I thought perhaps LightScribe had some proprietary BS regarding designs but you can use whatever you like as long as it "fits in the circle". What makes it work is using the finished DVD design as a "background". Voila!
    FrogMan: half frog, half man; but which half?

You can burn any image to a LS disc. I've downloaded ordinary images off the net and added text etc, works fine. I just used Nero Cover Designer software, but any cover design software that have the LS option should work fine. Their website is also quite good.

Only thing I dont like about LS is that it is quite slow.

http://www.lightscribe.com/