Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So someone has been onto my gmail :(

http://i.imgur.com/exOYA.png

http://i.imgur.com/TFail.png

I've changed my password, I don't use that pass for anything else so should that be fine? How would they even access it?

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

Default Re: So someone has been onto my gmail :(

I'd be interested to know how myself. I don't think bruteforcing a password is possible is it? Doesn't gmail lock it after a few attempts?
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

65.55.41.15 col0-pas-wn3.col0.hotmail.com
    wipe your paws.

Yep. all those IP's belong to hotmail.
    Someone has configured a hotmail account to POP your gmail and presumably send via it as well.
    Do / did you have a hotmail as well?
    Lay me down the long white line
    Leave the sirens far behind me
    Paint my name in black and gold
    My heart my flame my heart my road

Our work gmail a/c was hacked as well. Its only a a/c for junk so no biggie

I have to wonder just whats going on . Password had 4 numbers & letters, no real words, so couldnt have been guessed in a dictionary type attack.

The other thing I've seen with hacked webmail a/c's is... (both gmail & yahoomail)
    -the pass wasnt changed by the hacker: this doesnt make sense . Allows the owner to then change the pass.
    -b8gger all was sent out on that hacked a/c,only a dozen or so spam?? why so few ??
    -the only recipients of these spams from hacked a/c were the adresses saved in that gmail/yahoo a/c

??

darkstar09 - i recommend u to change your email service provider to some other email service - like a hotmail or maybe yahoo , i would go for hotmail since it's a better higher in protection from spam and unwanted access . I have seen myself , gmail get lots of attacks from hackers and i believe it still is , and i hope you don't have bank statements , and other personal info stored in your inbox or other places , because viruses can grab those info which then you can probably become a cybercrime victim . Thats my opinon but yeah it's your choice .

Quote Originally Posted by fred_fish View Post
    Yep. all those IP's belong to hotmail.
    Someone has configured a hotmail account to POP your gmail and presumably send via it as well.
    Do / did you have a hotmail as well?
    I did but stopped using it around 8 months ago after Microsoft blocked access to my account because of "Spamming" from my account. I was unable to regain access to it as they required I enter a mobile number to recieve a text for verification, entered my cell details multiple times but never got any texts. I gave up on that account and created a gmail which I then used for emails and Windows Live Messenger (MSN) though the Windows Live Credentials thing, but then that somehow got blocked by MS as well so I gave up on them completely.

Different passwords for them all.

So far this morning, I'm the only one to have accessed the account.

Around 700 emails were sent out, 282 bounced back and all were sent to random addresses.

mikebartnz

Quote Originally Posted by Nhashon View Post
    darkstar09 - i recommend u to change your email service provider to some other email service - like a hotmail or maybe yahoo , i would go for hotmail since it's a better higher in protection from spam and unwanted access . I have seen myself , gmail get lots of attacks from hackers and i believe it still is , and i hope you don't have bank statements , and other personal info stored in your inbox or other places , because viruses can grab those info which then you can probably become a cybercrime victim . Thats my opinon but yeah it's your choice .
    If you really think Hotmail does any better you don't live in the real world.
    Unless it has changed Yahoo's spam protection is absolute crap.
    As pctech has said it is a Hotmail account that is doing the spamming.
    I don't think you really know what you are talking about.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Our work gmail a/c was hacked as well. Its only a a/c for junk so no biggie

I have to wonder just whats going on . Password had 4 numbers & letters, no real words, so couldnt have been guessed in a dictionary type attack.
    Usually this means you've logged into it from something with a keylogger, and they got your password that way. The best defense against this is to turn on two-factor authentication; that way even if someone obtains your password they still can't get into your account.

The pass wasnt changed by the hacker: this doesnt make sense . Allows the owner to then change the pass.
    Many people don't notice their account has been compromised - if their password gets changed, then they notice they're locked out. If it isn't changed, whoever else is using it can continue to do so as long as they're not noticed.

b8gger all was sent out on that hacked a/c,only a dozen or so spam?? why so few ??
    Reduces the chances of them being noticed by either you or Google's spam filters.

the only recipients of these spams from hacked a/c were the adresses saved in that gmail/yahoo a/c
    Known valid contacts who are more likely to treat mail from you as valid, rather than send it straight to the junk folder. This technique also reduces the chance of Google's spam filters catching them.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

mikebartnz

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar09 View Post
    I did but stopped using it around 8 months ago after Microsoft blocked access to my account because of "Spamming" from my account. I was unable to regain access to it as they required I enter a mobile number to recieve a text for verification, entered my cell details multiple times but never got any texts. I gave up on that account and created a gmail which I then used for emails and Windows Live Messenger (MSN) though the Windows Live Credentials thing, but then that somehow got blocked by MS as well so I gave up on them completely.

Different passwords for them all.

So far this morning, I'm the only one to have accessed the account.

Around 700 emails were sent out, 282 bounced back and all were sent to random addresses.
    Can you have a look at account activity to see who has actually been doing the spamming.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.