Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default Practicality of faster broadband

I am just wondering if any of you who have VDSL, fiber or other forms of faster BB or are thinking of getting it. What particular uses you have in mind? Is it just HD materials, althou you may need a larger data cap I imagine. I also gather if you plan on hosting your own server (?) and need to upload huge files like Peter Jackson or photographers they may benefit.

My use is more normal - web browsing, social sites, youtube, Windows Updates and someone here plays online Xbox. Would those users actually benefit anything for the time being? And I think that at university campuses and at work (not IT but your typical office) the Internet generally isn't that fast right? I think I tested it once and it was like maybe 6Mbps/2Mbps. I would presume in the future more material will be more rich and standard video may be HD - that a 30Mbps connection may be essential but what about for the time being now ....

Are the routers going be similar priced also?
    Last edited by Nomad; 10-03-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Default Re: Practicality of faster broadband

I will get it if it ever reaches my street, speed aside fibre is just better. It is immune to electrical interference and most other forms of cable faults that mess up copper so it should be more reliable.
    More upstream speed is probably good for video calling as well, not something I personally do though.

The thing is, the more people with high speed connections there are, the more services will eventually get offered that take advantage of it. Things like Video on demand, Video calling / conferencing, Using Cloud services for your apps and data.
    It's one of those the more you have the more you want/need kinda things. Netflix recently stated they aren't considering NZ as a target for their services and cited the poor penetration of broadband and low data caps as part of the reason (too small a market is probably another).
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

VDSL routers are about $700.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Why have I got the feeling that it is all going to be one big rip off? A load of Hoo Haa. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    VDSL routers are about $700.
    certain people may stick with ADSL until it becomes mainstream.

Mind you the first ADSL routers that first came out were about $600.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Old dick-head

It's not faster broadband we need, it's bigger caps.

The govt would have been better off putting their money into a new cable to Hawaii.

(sorry - that's OUR money.)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Why have I got the feeling that it is all going to be one big rip off? A load of Hoo Haa. PJ
    Maybe because it started out looking extremely good, but then telecom got their little snouts in the trough and the prospects have become very sucky since then. Also, it is tied to international feeds from the Southern Cross cable, the fiefdom of - - guess who?
    The odds of a happy outcome are better with a lotto ticket.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

I'm afraid we have to face the commercial realities of it, doesn't matter who builds or owns the network they will want a return on their investment, and at a cost of many billions of dollars to build it's not going to be cheap. The money the government put in is just a small part of the overall costs. I get tired of so many people kicking and screaming for better speeds, bigger caps, and lower prices, and expecting it yesterday. The more we use the cheaper it gets, simple economy of scale. But it takes time, as in years. The prices and speeds we enjoy now would have seemed crazily good when Broadband first started appearing around the country a few years back.

As for being a load of Hoo haa, perhaps it is but I feel it's just the government for once trying to help provide what people want (personally I think there are plenty of more important places to spend the money but oh well). There are a lot of loud voices complaining about broadband and without the UFB project the various networks would be much slower advancing to fibre due to the costs and their heavy investments in the copper network, at least that's my opinion of it.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I got my VDSL2 router for $270, and it's top-of-the-line Draytek material too!

I love my VDSL2, it's amazing!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro