Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SParkies, old P&T techs, anyone brighter than me ... Wiring Up A Bell Ringer

I have acquired an old Ibex bell ringer which I intend to wire up as a door bell ringer. I think the ringer is a telephone ringer, but not sure.

Markings on the back are 1964 IBEX. On the windings is 500 ohm. On the inside of the bells is No15 MS.

I've got the clanger to hit the bells is a rather limp fashion using a 9 volt battery.

What voltage should I use; at what hertz, amperage, etc?

Can I just hook it up to the appropriate power pack off the mains?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0074_B.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	3557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075_B.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	3558

Default Re: SParkies, old P&T techs, anyone brighter than me ... Wiring Up A Bell Ringer

I am not a Tech but I used to own a pair of them old phones. I remember it had U shaped magnets which must have been part of a power generator. When you wound the handle it generated power to cause a bell to ring at the other end I think.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

Default Re: SParkies, old P&T techs, anyone brighter than me ... Wiring Up A Bell Ringer

I'd suggest somewhere between 40 and 80 volts at 20Hz. And I'd want to make sure the bell push was well insulated from the caller!
    If you don't get any response from retired P&T staff then maybe try the stack room / archives at the public library.
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

I know old telephones had a 1 1/2 volt telephone battery, but I think that might of been for the dial phones.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

That looks similar to the ringer / doorbell we had at the old flat. It was 8v. The transformer for it was screwed near the main powerboard in the flat

Quote Originally Posted by coldot View Post
    I'd suggest somewhere between 40 and 80 volts at 20Hz. And I'd want to make sure the bell push was well insulated from the caller!
    If you don't get any response from retired P&T staff then maybe try the stack room / archives at the public library.
    Yeah, my research thus far suggests anything between 20 to 40Hz, anything between 9 to 110 volts.

Of course this ringer is not attached directly to a phone, as in a part of it, but certainly would have been triggered by one (the third wire in the old system?). I guess it could also have been on a completely different system apart from the trigger, e.g. a workshop extension bell, which I think I hope it was, because I think it will make my life easier.

Good point about isolating the button from the supply. ATX like, rather than At.

My guess is it is designed for 75volts AC at 16 2/3 Hz.

Oh, and the AC waveform should be sawtooth not sinusoidal.
    Last edited by B.M.; 06-02-2012 at 06:29 AM.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

It's stretching my memory but ring tone is AC at around 25hz and 80-90 volts, this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringtone would agree. It might work at a bit lower voltage because it has no line resistance to worry about like an actual phone line does.
    NZ was based on british telecom standards so use those if you can find them. Just be aware that 80 volts does bite, I think that may be the limit to legally work on without being an electrician.
    The old phones often had a circuit diagram inside them also if you've got the one that came out of.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Just go to Miter 10 and buy a wireless door bell. It will be way less hassle..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Default Re: Sparkies, old P&T techs, anyone brighter than me ... Wiring Up A Bell Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Just go to Miter 10 and buy a wireless door bell. It will be way less hassle..
    We have one, however it struggles to get the signal through the, up to, 340mm thick brick and concrete walls we have here and we can't here it upstairs at the front corner of the 'house' let alone 30 odd metres at the opposite corner downstairs. I'd considered relaying several door bells, but then where is the romance in that and it doesn't fit with fabric of the building (to use a conservation term). No, I definitely want to scare the bejesus out of the ringer, the ringees and all the neighbourhood cats within half a K.
    Last edited by Murray P; 06-02-2012 at 09:35 AM.