Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wonder about Joe

Was taught at Ngatimoti primary school to recite almost every capital city in the world.
    Be able to draw a map of the world and name the countries in it. Learn by rote the years of all major wars from the 1800s, date of Norman invasion of poverty rock, the fall of Rome, the year Columbus discovered america, Cook and Tasman NZ. Learn the stuff that happened from the dark ages by period to like present day. This wasnt at High School but primary.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Was taught at Ngatimoti primary school to recite almost every capital city in the world.
    Be able to draw a map of the world and name the countries in it. Learn by rote the years of all major wars from the 1800s, date of Norman invasion of poverty rock, the fall of Rome, the year Columbus discovered america, Cook and Tasman NZ. Learn the stuff that happened from the dark ages by period to like present day. This wasnt at High School but primary.
    And then all of a sudden ... you can't remember what you did last Tuesday

"...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------
    "After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch."

A head full of information, but what is the use if common sense is missing?

We have to look to Richard for the wisdom.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by mikebartnz View Post
    It wasn't just the old lady though because the old guy didn't know what Nagasaki was known for.
    The Kamikaze Crash is what he was best known for, although he did have quite a variety of moves. - www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rjo_m9UESU

Yes I remember learning this sort of thing by rote. It is sometimes useful to have that sort of information crammed in your head and be able to recall it.

Todays kids have the internet to fall back on for information.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

I'm not a fan of that, using the internet to learn from. It's so easy to put an opinion up and pass it for fact - at least with books every effort is made to make sure they are as accurate as possible and books that are merely opinions or arguements on a certain topic are clearly identifiable. That's not to say books are always accurate, or the internet is always wrong of course, but I do find that people that 'read it on a website' usually have less knowledge of a subject than those who 'have a book on it at home'. Maybe it's just me, I often find I'm the sole bidder on textbooks, history books etc on TradeMe. I suppose it depends on your viewpoint, but knowing you can probably find information online if you need it seems to be more valuable than actually absorbing it.

While the information on the internet is not entirely trustworthy at least it is updated. Textbooks offer researched and reliable information but unless you buy a new edition of the book this information is not updated.

I often find myself doing background research through the internet on a news item that happened recently. Recent events of history are not readily found in books.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

Peripatetic member

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Are you saying all that blood in the head doesn't kill you?
    It's having NO blood in the head that kills you.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    It's having NO blood in the head that kills you.
    In that case I shall continue to stand on my head at every opportunity.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero