Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 100 Dick Smith stores face closure - founder on warpath

Here.
    The one down here always seems pretty busy.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Default Re: 100 Dick Smith stores face closure - founder on warpath

Their mistake was getting rid of all the electronic components and just selling tv's and iPods.
    I used to spend literally hundreds of dollars at DSE before they changed all their stores. Now they just sell the same stuff you find in all the other stores.
    Such a shame.

I goto Jaycarr now...

Angry Re: 100 Dick Smith stores face closure - founder on warpath

"Mr Smith said he feared the chain would be sold to a foreign-owned company.

"I'll rubbish them the whole time. They wouldn't want to pay much," he told the Sydney Morning Herald.

He later told AAP he would not go that far and warned the Woolworths' decision was a sign Australia was moving closer to the point when everything would be foreign-owned."

Harden up, Dick. We're almost at that point with regards to Aussie ownership of Kiwi firms.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Our Dick Smith just moved...
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

When Dick Smith Electronics first started in NZ I welcomed them because they so widely outpaced the customer value offered by the indifferent slackers that existed locally. The "service" offered by Woolworths/Dick Smith has for years been outshone by many others. They have become just another double-named toaster shop, and can't even compete in that regrettable group. A pity, on occasions they had staff members that showed great skills, but the system ground them down.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    A pity, on occasions they had staff members that showed great skills
    They still have at least one at Takaknini, I went to school with one of them
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    When Dick Smith Electronics first started in NZ I welcomed them because they so widely outpaced the customer value offered by the indifferent slackers that existed locally. The "service" offered by Woolworths/Dick Smith has for years been outshone by many others. They have become just another double-named toaster shop, and can't even compete in that regrettable group. A pity, on occasions they had staff members that showed great skills, but the system ground them down.
    Yep, any one decent never stayed long at dickies
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me

I used to frequent Dick smiths and David Reid Electronics way back when, these days as someone mentioned Jaycars is the only store of that type around. Trying to become an appliance store basically puts them in direct competition with the huge chain stores, that was always going to be a challenge.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Dan View Post
    Their mistake was getting rid of all the electronic components and just selling tv's and iPods.
    I used to spend literally hundreds of dollars at DSE before they changed all their stores. Now they just sell the same stuff you find in all the other stores.
    Such a shame.
    Totally agree with that

Years ago (showing my age now) used to be only a couple places to get electronic components etc here in Dunedin, and David Reid Electronics was the best.

Then 20 years ago Dick Smith bought the chain, and tho it too was good for a while, as DD says, it started being less and less an electronics store, and more and more a cell phone and cheap(?) own brand computer seller

there's not much I'd go to DSE for these days...... (not many, if any )

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Dan View Post
    Such a shame.

I goto Jaycarr now...
    Many years ago I was able to buy computer parts from Dick Smith. Now days I buy through the internet from ComputerLounge or Ascent. I have also been to Jaycars on occasions looking for parts.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300