Default Toshiba M200 Vista will load dvd but now wont load cds that work fine on XP laptop

Ths drive tries to load the cd then starts to tick as if it is confused? The same drive loads and reads dvds fine. I uninstalled and re-installed the cd/dvd driver, still no luck, The cds tried are undamaged/new. I suspect a Toshiba quirk or a Win Update bug as it is a recent problem although I haven't investigated media players other than Windows media player. I am not sure how to go about fixing it short of a re-instal. Would really appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Default Re: Toshiba M200 Vista will load dvd but now wont load cds that work fine on XP lapto

its possible the upper or lower filters are damaged.

if you want to try replacing them, first make restore point ( just in case) then follow Deleting-Upper-and-Lower-Filters-a-fix-for-CDDVD-reading-problems or another set of instructions upperfilters-lowerfilters

Default Re: Toshiba M200 Vista will load dvd but now wont load cds that work fine on XP lapto

Thanks so much wainuitech...will give this a go and report back.

Tried the Mr Fixit repair, and no luck;finally resorted to a complete re-instal back to factory settings from the partition. I have to conclude the cd section of the combo drive is faulty. Thanks very much for your assistance wainuitech..I learned a lot in the process.