Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For the phootographers out there

Recently I have been looking into ideas for my Photography board for NCEA Level 3 and thought that it might be a good idea to start a thread regarding photography here (or other arts as well). We could discuss different techniques and tutorials, show some of our own work etc

Just an idea, anyway, to start it off I guess, I have just discovered tilt shift photography, I feel like am "cheating" with these ones since I didn't achieve them optically with a lens (yet to price out and buy one) but I really like the idea.

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/Bejing_Tiny.jpg

Anyway, is this "Photography thread" a good idea?
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Default Re: For the phootographers out there

I don't see why not. It beats a lot of the other senseless krap that gets posted here

Tell me more about how you achieved the linked photograph.

Absolutely

Let me guess, is it postprocessed?

WARNING
    CONTENT OF THIS POST MAY OFFEND
    VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Wanderer

I think the first link provided cannot be done with a tilt/shift lens with a Nikon or a Canon. That is more of a large format camera right? A large format has far more adjusting knobs than a SLR. But then there is photoshop Still not as much though as a large format camera.

Most of you guessed correctly, it was achieved VERY simply in PS CS5, ill write a tutorial today/tomorrow for Photoshop and possibly GIMP (because not everyone has PS, not sure about how well GIMP works though so sorry for the GIMP users)

A bit of detail though, it was taken with my Nikon D3100 (a great camera for those interested in some relatively serious to amateur photography, its my first SLR and a great all rounder.) using the standard lens, nothing fantastic. The Technique to achieving a good TS (Tilt shift) photo is getting the right scene. If photographing a REAL model you would be above it, thus high angle shots work best. With all TS photos a certain level of post processing is required to complete the effect, even if using a TS lens. This is because models are brightly coloured. This pastel colours and high contrast so I used curves to adjust the bightness/contrast and increased the vibrancy. (more about this in the tut)

The actual effect was made by using the quick select tool to define a gradual gradient. A Lens blur was then applied to the boundary which = TS photo!!

Now ill first point out one thing, VERY few good photos are ever taken "as is" they are almost always edits post process, with film this was done in the darkroom as part of the image developing process (getting the right exposure/colour balance etc) and it was done by human eye, with digital its much easier but a computer does all the work. When I first started taking pics I was always daunted by the dull colours of my pics, truth is thats how cameras work, they average out the colour. So now a computer handles the developing process by automatically getting the best shot. This usually works well enough but not good enough for those "oh WOW" shots. So now we have to use a digital darkroom with the likes of PS. To combat this "dull colour" usually I take the raw image (by raw I mean unedited not the .RAW image format) and edit the curves (ctrl + M in PS windows command + M PS mac) to get the right brightness/contrast etc. It does depend a bit on the camera settings and camera but ANYONE can take good pics on ANY camera. A good camera does not make a good photographer and a god photographer does not have to have a good camera.

Hopefully this will be easier to understand after the tutes.

Also - Check out auzeras.deviantart.com for a slightly smaller gallery of my pics. There are a few recent ones which are ok, but the older ones from before I learned what I was doing are terrible, dont embarrass me by bringing them up
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Those look good, idk what it is about the UK but it always looks decent in Photo's
    The Master Of Deception

Wanderer

Film prices and development are just crazy here, so people like me import then and I for instance export them in batches of 6 rolls for development.

To me the challenge is to get everything done in camera. So I shoot colour transparency film. While you can scan the film and Photoshop it. The thing is to just simply project the slides so there is no post processing whatsoever. But you can use any filters at the time of shooting. Like the olden days I guess when pro's submitted actual films to the publishing company. They didn't allow manipulation.

B/w film is somewhat affordable in NZ, likewise the chemical stuff and the darkroom equipment like enlargers etc .. can be had for a steal online or thru camera clubs. Darkroom is probably for the super dedicated though, I know someone who has a basement fitted out for that. He does darkroom printing as well.

But yeah professional photographers incl even landscape photographers shooting medium format film - will still Photoshop images, take out footprints etc .. take out distracting branches. At a seminar that I went to, one of the most respected landscape photographers in NZ.
    Last edited by Nomad; 05-01-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

What is a phootograph?
    FTW

Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    What is a phootograph?
    man didnt even notice till you said it! lolol

must be time for a eye test..
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.