Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    South Seas Parrothead Twelvevolts's Avatar

Default Best Albums of 2011

One of the joys of this time of year is reading the critics top 50 albums lists and catching up on some of the ones you missed.

My list doesn't seem to agree with any of the critics - but then I like what I like.

Top Ten
    1. Smother - Wild Beasts
    2. Suck It And See - Arctic Monkeys
    3. Velociraptor - Kasabian
    4. Colour Of The Trap - Miles Kane
    5. Happy Soup - Baxter Dury
    6. A Different Kind Of Fix - Bombay Bicycle Club
    7. Submarine - Alex Turner
    8. What Did You Expect From The Vaccines? - The Vaccines
    9. Go Tell Fire To The Mountain - WU LYF
    10. Portamento - The Drums

Honorable mentions
    No Thyself - Magazine
    Build a Rocket Boys - Elbow
    Killer Sounds - Hard-fi

Best Concert Music DVD's
    1. Live at Red Rocks - John Butler Trio
    2. Real Life and Thereafter - Magazine

And purchased the lot!!!

Ones I have still to give a good spin
    Skying - The Horrors
    Last Night on Earth - Noah and the Whale
    Yuck - Yuck

and no doubt a few more yet.
    Drinking Central Otago Pinot Noir - but purely for medicinal purposes.

Default Re: Best Albums of 2011

Awesome 12v to be honest i dont know any of them...must be really behind the music scene
    i still listen to queen and pink floyd etc
    music is a funny interest and generally most are quite vocal on what they like or dislike and i do struggle to wonder how music critics make a crust

good post, well done
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me

All British bands expect for The Drums (American). John Butler is also american but considered an australian as he has lived most of his life there.

Got to see Wild Beasts live this year - always good to see your favourite band live whoever they are!!

^amen
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me

Geez I'm getting old, never heard of any of them. Perhaps you should mention the genre so we know what we're looking at

I'm a Hard Rock / Metal fan myself but metal is evolving away from my tastes lately. Plus I almost have to force myself to buy New stuff.

Only two from me and it turns out they are from 2010 / 2009 lol. I'll mention them anyway.
    1. Halestorm - self titled
    2. The Pretty reckless - Light me up

What can I say I love rock music with female Vocalists and there isn't that much around
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Geez I'm getting old, never heard of any of them. Perhaps you should mention the genre so we know what we're looking at

I'm a Hard Rock / Metal fan myself but metal is evolving away from my tastes lately. Plus I almost have to force myself to buy New stuff.

Only two from me and it turns out they are from 2010 / 2009 lol. I'll mention them anyway.
    1. Halestorm - self titled
    2. The Pretty reckless - Light me up

What can I say I love rock music with female Vocalists and there isn't that much around
    I will be checking these 2 out thank you

If you're into goth rock; check out Within Temptation
    IMHO the lead singer makes Evanesence lead sound like an amateur

Older (80's) rock with female leads: Warlock - she went on to perform alone as Doro Pesch

As for current stuff, can't say as I have enjoyed much. I guess Gotye kind of put a spark in the audio senses
    Nothing much else memorable though
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Genre is normally described as indie or alternative - but fair to say these are hardly obscure bands and would be well known to music fans in the UK. For some reason New Zealand follows American mainstream music (or what passes for pop these days) which to me is all fairly bland. Haven't followed metal after about 1978, doesn't really do anything for me but I know of course it has a big following.

Big fan of The Cure though if they count even remotely as Goth, like their recent Bestival live double and bought it the day it came out.

Just saw a New Zealand band called Midnight Youth on television - sounded very average to me. I'm sure there are better bands in New Zealand - Fat Freddy's Drop aren't exactly my cup of tea but they way better than Midnight Youth. I'd like to get into New Zealand music more - I'm still keen on bands like The Clean from my days at Uni in Dunedin, but not really familiar with bands that haven't made it overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I will be checking these 2 out thank you

If you're into goth rock; check out Within Temptation
    IMHO the lead singer makes Evanesence lead sound like an amateur

Older (80's) rock with female leads: Warlock - she went on to perform alone as Doro Pesch

As for current stuff, can't say as I have enjoyed much. I guess Gotye kind of put a spark in the audio senses
    Nothing much else memorable though
    Snap, got some Within Temptation albums, several warlock ones, and 1 from Doro. Just recently discovered she has heaps more.
    Halestorm also have a covers album which is pretty good, I don't even hate the lady gaga cover.

About the American vs British music thing, I never realy cared or often even noticed where my music comes from and have something of a mixture. I've always loved Judas Priest (British) am a big fan of Metallica up until Load (American), Have several albums from German and other European bands. Drawing Imaginary boundaries around which countries have better music just makes you miss stuff that you might love. Also English people seem to think Kylie Minogue is a singer, something wrong there.

I never liked the alternative genre, not because of the music but because it's too vague of a category to know what to expect. Also record stores seem to put anything they can't figure out into alternative. But then I don't like categories that much in general, so many bands don't want to be labelled and try to call themselves something new, prospective fans like to get an Idea of what kinda music it is and instead are baffled with a million sub-categories.

My guilty pleasure is any cute female singer with a nice voice, regardless of Genre You'll find some strange things mixed into my mainly metal collection.

surprise recomendation from the last year or so from me;
    Slash and Fergie - Beautiful dangerous. She should sing more rock songs, I love this one.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thought "beautiful dangerous" sounded remarkably like the Headless Chickens
    Amnesia International, remembering for those that can't.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced.