Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Needs a reversed Cougar! tuiruru's Avatar

Default AT last! - Someone talks some sense

I'm not decrying any hardship that people in Christchurch have gone\are going through but this point of view seems bloody sensible.(When you follow the link give it time to drop down to the highlighted bit)

Edit: Highlighted bit below

"
    "It's physically being active, that's what's going to help people - not sitting around sharing with others how crappy they feel."

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Stay-put-counsellor-tells-Cantabrians/tabid/423/articleID/238170/Default.aspx#ixzz1iN7A4WiH

Last edited by tuiruru; 03-01-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Noli illegitimi carborundorum

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Default Re: AT last! - Someone talks some sense

They'll feel even crappier when the predicted 7.5 occurs. I'd bee looking at a job outside of CHCH..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    They'll feel even crappier when the predicted 7.5 occurs. I'd bee looking at a job outside of CHCH..
    Predicted 7.5? Got a link to that source or where did you hear it?

Needs a reversed Cougar! tuiruru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iantech View Post
    Predicted 7.5? Got a link to that source or where did you hear it?
    That Rings a bell!!

Edit: That was just a name game.... I know that "an expert" has predicted another "big one" - hence the post
    Last edited by tuiruru; 03-01-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Noli illegitimi carborundorum

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Very easy for an Auckland based trauma counsellor to tell people in Christchurch what they should do ... ask him the same question after he's lived in Christchurch for the last 18 months and lost everything he owned, maybe his answer may be somewhat different.

I know for certain that Dunedin Psychiatrists and Psychologists have been doing a "rotation" in Christchurch, 1) because of the many people asking for help to get through this ongoing disaster, and 2) half of the bloody psychologists based in ChCh have packed their bags and crossed the ditch.

I have absolutely no time for psychologists .... 95% of them sit there and ask - "and how does that make you feel" - for $140 an hour. Ask one directly - and what do you think I should do, how should I feel ? - they haven't got an answer and put it back on you by saying - well what do you think is the best thing to do. Most haven't got a bloody clue what happens in the real world.

Rant over ... and yes, I've been to see a psychologist ... would have had better luck trying to milk the neighbours bull.

Tui's phrase:

"It's physically being active, that's what's going to help people - not sitting around sharing with others how crappy they feel."

What do you think " shovelling s h i t " after every big shake is, if that's not physical, what is.

B l o o d y heavy stuff and sets like concrete.

Lady over the road has been to the free Psychcologist help, after this last batch of quakes she is now in Ashbuton, so much for that help.

She is due back Saturday and will no doubt be over sleeping with us again.

A lot of folk need to come and stay here for a year and see how they cope.

Lurking.

mikebartnz

Quote Originally Posted by SP8's View Post
    I have absolutely no time for psychologists ....
    The psychologists I have met have all needed themselves more than anyone else has.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Have to agree with Sp8's and Lurking posts 100%. Its bloody tough and does your head in day after day of it. There is a new problem arising as a result of it all, we call it "quake brain", but I'm sure there will be some technical term. Basically you just cant think straight anymore - like the GF last week accidentally putting brake fluid in the radiator header bottle in her car. Some people are doing all sorts of crazy random things that they wouldn't normally do. No Psychologist can help you there, only cure for that is time and no more damn shaking in my opinion.

I know plenty of people after the 23rd Dec ones that just felt sick and exhausted, a mate of mine came over and spent about 2 hours sitting on the patio steps just sick to the stomach and hardly said a word. The last lot nearly broke him and I bet there are many out there close to the edge.

The hospital has had a big increase in heart attack and heart related patients, even if we get no more quakes and the nutters dont predict any more to scare people, its going to take a generation before many get over this event. According to stats, around 10,000 have left Chch so far.

There is no way you can really put into words whats its like (on the East side anyway), the only way to know is to experience it, and I wouldnt recommend it if you have a weak heart, have panic attacks or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iantech View Post
    only cure for that is time and no more damn shaking in my opinion.
    I dont envy you guys for a second and to realise how much this has affected you living down there, but i think you have answered your own question, also these people are only doing their job, would you want the EQC to give up due to difficult clients?

I find it hard to understand why you dont just move away, but also i havent been through your experiences in the last near18 months

hang in there guys.
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me

Many cant just move away even if they would like to. For some Chch is all they know, for others its all they have got.

As for EQC (and Jenny Shiplys mob), they are digging their own hole quite nicely without having difficult clients. There are emerging some real horror stories about how they are treating clients and unless you stand up to them and moan, they will ride all over you and you wont get what you are entitled to (getting the damage the earthquakes have done repaired). All most people want is their home to be safe and to try and get on with their lives, its hard to do that when your chimney has come through your ceiling or your bricks have fallen off the side of your house, your house is 400mm lower at one end and you cant open or close the doors in your house etc etc. On top of that the criminal element are trashing every vacant house, you cant go for a holiday because you can be assured when you get back you wont even have as much as a hot water cylinder remaining if they think it is not occupied.