Kitten's Lair, Fortified Bunker, 300m below ground

Default When Friday the 13th always falls on a Friday?? WTF?

So on 3news, the story of a "new calender", a moronic idea in itself, but for some reason they decided "When Friday the 13th falls on a Friday" - what the hell is that supposed to mean?
    Are they brain dead or am I missing something?

How can it be Friday the 13th on any other day?
    Last edited by Cato; 29-12-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    Who was the first that forged the deadly blade?
    Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.

Default Re: When Friday the 13th always falls on a Friday?? WTF?

I heard that. I think some university people were having a joke and the media picked it up and ran with it. They want Christmas day to always fall on a Sunday and so on. I thought the comment about Friday 13th always falling on a Friday was a classic.
    Stand by for the announcement that full moons will always occur on the same day each month!!

In other news, Good Friday will fall on Saturday 7 April.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Good friday is already messed up, easter can move more than a month. I forget how the work it out, first weekend after the full moon or something equally sensible. And it's a matter of dispute between some Churches apparently.

It'd be a nuisance to change the calendar but you must admit it's a bit messed up as it is. I'm not sure changing it would be moronic, as long as it was changed to a logical system. We have inherited some weird systems from our ancestors.
    Why 24 hours in a day? why 12 months? 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour? - there is actually some logic to it but it's not immediately obvious or particularly easy to work with. We could divide things up much more evenly in a decimal system if we wanted to.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Kitten's Lair, Fortified Bunker, 300m below ground

I was referring to their logic that every Friday the 13th does not fall on a friday.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Mathematician...0/Default.aspx

Imagine if your birthday always fell on a Saturday night, Christmas was always on a Sunday, and Friday the 13th really did fall on a Friday.
    How stupid can they be?
    Friday the 13th always falls on a Friday and on the 13th of that particular month (ie, 13th May 2011). Otherwise how would it be Friday the 13th?

Did they perhaps mean we would have a Black Friday every month?

More professional journalism. Well done.
    Who was the first that forged the deadly blade?
    Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.

Now that we don't have all those nasty old mental hospitals any more, where do you think those people have gone to?
    Parliament has been expanded to hold a few of them, many are in local government planning departments, OSH has them developing new signs, thousands of them got new clothes and became consultants, and the rest of them slotted neatly into the media.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

So long as we get a paid public holiday every Monday, Wednesday and Friday of every week I'd be happy

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    So long as we get a paid public holiday every Monday, Wednesday and Friday of every week I'd be happy
    And mental health days on Tuesdays and Thursdays...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Good friday is already messed up, easter can move more than a month. I forget how the work it out, first weekend after the full moon or something equally sensible. And it's a matter of dispute between some Churches apparently.

It'd be a nuisance to change the calendar but you must admit it's a bit messed up as it is. I'm not sure changing it would be moronic, as long as it was changed to a logical system. We have inherited some weird systems from our ancestors.
    Why 24 hours in a day? why 12 months? 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour? - there is actually some logic to it but it's not immediately obvious or particularly easy to work with. We could divide things up much more evenly in a decimal system if we wanted to.
    If you are interested look it up. The answer may be surprisingly simple almost to the point of being disappointing.

Is it any wonder the number 12 that is often used is divisible by 2,3,4 & 6? And if you look at other numbers like 24 (divisible by 2,3,4,6 & 8 etc) and 60 (divisible by 2,3,4,5,6,10 & 12 and others) and 360 (as in degrees, which is divisible by 2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,12,15 etc.) then it shouldn't be too much of a surprise given these units of measure were decided in the days before calculators. Humans being naturally lazy wanted to make life easier for themselves, and picking numbers that could be evenly divided by lots of other numbers made more sense than picking prime numbers.

From memory Easter is the first full moon after the ides of March - the "ides" is about the 15th - can't remember exactly.

After triumphantly mastering (sort of) the dozen rule at school, dismal guernsey was a bit of a smack in the chops. (Admittedly it was a definite improvement to accounting machines.)

However, one thing hasn't changed, gross ignorance is still 12 dozen politicians.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.