Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Damage to a rental property

Hey guys,

So I sorta set fire to the garage today. was grinding and a spare bed went alight resulting in the garage roof and ceiling taking some damage and a bit on the walls also. I am reading through my tenancy agreement and it states that landlords insurance is unlikely to cover tenants liability. Does this mean I am going to have to repair garage myself? I havge called the property manager and she said she would contact the owners and get back to me.

Just kinda shittin myself here cos I can't afford a garage bill.

Any advice for someone in my position? What legal rights do I have? I have contents insurance to cover my personal loss but no home insurance as I believe that is the landlords responsibilty?

Thanks

Default Re: Damage to a rental property

LEAVE NOW.

Change your appearance,

Deny EVERYTHING.

Head into the hills and live off the land, Hope you watched a lot of man vs wild.

Good luck and god bless.
    better Dredd then dead

Haha would you like to come demo my garage so I can argue...what garage??? :-p

Personally never been in the situation, but I imagine the landlord would have insurance cover for the scenario where a tenant tries to burn the place to the ground. You may be asked to pay the excess though..., which, depending on the policy, may make Metla's suggestion a viable/recommended one!!

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

The Owner may not have insurance. What does the Tenancy Agreement actually say?

Some such agreements say that Insurance is over to the Renter.

Just kinda shittin myself here cos I can't afford a garage bill.
    well you did cause the damage by what you were doing, so you are responsible for it.

The owner should have insurance ( stupid if they didn't) but expect to pay something.

I would expect to pay the excess. The property manager just called and said the same thing basically but they have to ask fire brigade etc on whether or not it was neglect. I don't think it falls under neglect as it is just one of those unlucky moments but time will tell.

The tentant agreement says: Not damage or permit damage to the premises and inform the landlord of any damage*

* Any insurance taken out by the landlord is unlikely to cover the tenants liability for damage.

Is it a generic tenancy agreement that the property management company gives to everyone to sign? The comment "* Any insurance taken out by the landlord is unlikely to cover the tenants liability for damage. " sounds like a generic statement they make to cover themselves.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

What will possibly happen is the owners insurance will fix it, then come to you for the $$$.

Older by the minute

OK. Get your contents insurance policy out of the little tin box that you stored it away in all those years ago. Check the wording, mainly in the personal liability section. If you can't understand or cannot find the wording, contact your insurance company first thing in the morning. From past experience, and unless your insurer is a faulty one, you should have cover that you cause for accidental damage that you do to the structure of the rented property.

Get you insurer involved early!!!!!