Default Recording Problem

I am recording music from a keyboard to my laptop and have a problem with a noisy buzz.

The buzz has something to do with the power as when I remove the power from the laptop the buzz ceases.

The answer, you might say, is to record only using the battery, which is only a partial solution as the recording sessions go on much longer than the life of the battery. One the battery is dead recording stops even though we have not finished.

I suspect that the problem may be in the earth in the power circuit and if the earth was removed the buzz may stop but unfortunately, all the plugs are the moulded type and impossible to get into.

The circuit consists of both the keyboard and the laptop plugged into the power and a lead from the output of the keyboard to the input of the laptop.

Does anyone have any idea how I can cure the problem? Your help would be appreciated.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz

Default Re: Recording Problem

It sounds like an earth loop between devices, an isolating transformer on the power of one of them should fix it or you can get audio isolators (just an audio transformer I think) to use in between them. I have seen them available for car audio somewhere like Jaycar but you'd probably have to make up a cable.

If the laptop is 12V Just run it off a car battery

Edit: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView....r&form=KEYWORD is what I was talking about, but currently out of stock it seems.
    Last edited by dugimodo; 19-12-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Default Re: Recording Problem

Thanks so much for that dugimodo. The solution seems quite simple and not very expensive.

The laptop is 19v so I cannot run it off a car battery, but I will see if I can buy the ground loop isolator from Jaycar,

Most appreciated.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz