Question Male <> Male USB transfer cable

I cannot find a local shop that has a USB (2.0) transfer cable (male to male).
    Can I make my own from two USB extension cables (male > female)?
    Is it just a simple matter of splicing wires or a wire + shielded braid?

The purpose is to update the firmware on this Freeview tuner/recorder.

thanks

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Male <> Male USB transfer cable

Not for that purpose, you won't be able to use a USB cable. There are some special cables, but it's not quite as simple as just crossing over the cables.

Stick with a crossover network cable for what you wanna do
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Not for that purpose, you won't be able to use a USB cable. There are some special cables, but it's not quite as simple as just crossing over the cables.

Stick with a crossover network cable for what you wanna do
    Chill, for the purpose of upgrading there is only a USB socket on the back of the Freeview set (not a crossover socket).
    The user manual states "upgrade via USB device" and points to the USB socket.
    A crossover network cable does not have USB ends AFAIK.

~ Bertrand Russell

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Correct, in that case they're referring to using a USB Thumbdrive
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Yes definately referring to a USB thumbdrive, you put a copy of the firmware on it and update from the box itself, if the manual doesn't have instructions you may need to google it.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Yes definately referring to a USB thumbdrive, you put a copy of the firmware on it and update from the box itself, if the manual doesn't have instructions you may need to google it.
    Nothing found via Google except a 404 page and a reference to the user manual I already have, which has no instructions on how to upgrade the firmware.

So I put in a thumbdrive and selected the Upgrade menu button on the DTVS-T1, whereupon a pop up box stated an "OTA search" was in progress, then "no OTA found". OTA means, I suppose, "Over The Air". OK, I give up. Found Freeview Customer Support 0800 number....

~ Bertrand Russell

I rang DTV Solutions (not Freeview as I stated on my previous post) and spoke with technical support Nick. Interesting...

The firmware upgrades are done either by downloading from their website and transferring it to a USB thumbdrive, or it is done OTA - meaning "over the air" via the TV frequencies that the DTVS-T1 box is connected with. However, there is no new firmware.

But as long as I had techie Nick on the line I told him of an annoying problem: When a program was being recorded, instead of all the other 10 channels being available, only several others were available. That is, most channels disappeared altogether. This stumped him so I am waiting for a reply as he investigates.

BTW, I connected a 500 Gb hd to the DTVS-T1. Total recording time is about 220 hours. Quality is very good. Overall, for the price, the DTVS-T1 is a bargain - it was free via Fly Buys, normally $165 - $199 which is still worth it.

~ Bertrand Russell

Well I don't know for sure but it's reminding me of the recording and playback limitations of a single tuner DVB-T card in a PC.

It goes someething like this: (might not be exactly right)
    Channels are organised into frequency groups each with it's own transponder
    When watching or recording any channel on a single tuner, only those channels on the same transponder can be accessed at the same time. ( I believe it's one digital signal containing multiple channels and the tuner is extracting the one(s) you want )
    To get around this most of the more expensive devices use dual tuners (my TiVo does, but if it's recording 2 channels you have to watch one of them or nothing)

This was quite obvious when I used DVB-Viewer as my PC TV software as you could see the groupings in the channel list after scanning, I don't remember them exactly off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure TVNZ had all it's channels on one and TV3, TV4, C4 and a few others were on another, and there was a 3rd with another set of channels on it.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post

It goes someething like this: (might not be exactly right)
    Channels are organised into frequency groups each with it's own transponder
    When watching or recording any channel on a single tuner, only those channels on the same transponder can be accessed at the same time.
    Seems correct to me. I believe the techie at DTV Solutions said that there were two 'multiplexers', each having a share of the 11 Freeview Terrestrial channels. With the DTVS-T1 two channels can be recorded at the same time, but it is my understanding it does not have two 'tuners', although I may have the terminology wrong, or the techie.

Of course the problem of channels disappearing during a recording can be side stepped by changing the Input to the TV itself - that is if the TV has its own digital tuner (which our TV does have).

Anyway, I thought there may be something wrong with the DTVS-T1 we have, but it is operating as it should and considering I paid nothing for it, I am satisfied with the little unit.

~ Bertrand Russell